Indian star tortoise behaviour and wellbeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Hello everyone, got a few questions here.

Just got myself an indian star tortoise from a friend who kept it for over a year. Based on what I'm told, I'm guessing its 1year++ old. Appears to be in good health as my friend is an avid lover of star tortoises. I use the Exo-terra Sun Glo 50W bulb that only outputs only UVA.

The tortoise seems to be reacting positively towards the indoor enclosure I've set up. The thing I'm most curious about is that in the equatorial climate of Singapore, humidity and temperature shdn't be much of an issue. But the tortoise seems to bask under the Sun Glo bulb for hours, be it day or night. But now and then, it does walk about for abit before returning to the heat.
I did a test, I place the tortoise in the hidebox, it will awaken in a min or two and scamper towards the heat source. The room temp the last time i checked was 27* celcius and with the lamp on for so long it increased to about 30*.

Its a pretty small tortoise, about 6.5cm. Gave it carrots, some veges, Timothy hay and alfalfa hay. Did not see it eating actively when presented with the food, especially the hay. (Overnight, carrots and hay were untouched and only noticed some holes in the green veges.)

So is there something wrong with it? Sorry if I sound rather paranoid, a decade ago I had a Burmese star tortoise, it died after a short period of 2 years.

ist2v.jpg

ist1.jpg

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Get a fecal test done for parasites and treat accordingly. I wish you the best of luck. It will probably be a challenge over the next 2 years. I have been there and done that. Douglas

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
Ah ic, i'll go do that. Its better to be safe and certain now. Thanks for the advice. :)

elegans said:
Get a fecal test done for parasites and treat accordingly. I wish you the best of luck. It will probably be a challenge over the next 2 years. I have been there and done that. Douglas

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Best of luck. Panacure and Flagyl for sure. Douglas

M

Maggie Cummings

Also, I'd feed more greens then hay and make sure to turn the light off at night. It should mimic the sun, on for 12 to 14 hours then off 12. Give it a soak for 10 minutes every other day and you should be good to go. Remember, you cannot do too much research...Study the habits, food, and water requirements. Put it in the sun for a bit if you can, and welcome to the forum...

They are extremely fragile and are prone to URTI. I'd certainly keep him away from other tortoises who might carry protozoa or other parasites that could make your Star very sick. If he gets a resp infection stay away from the Baytril that is normally used as they are allergic to it. And that is the extent of my knowledge about Stars...good luck with yours...

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
oh speaking of mimicking the sun, a local vet told a friend of mine that it was advisable to turn the heat lamp on at night... What are the justifications for doing so? Seriously confused here.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
**UPDATE!**

I realised the Heat seeking and lethargy in the tortoise are symptoms of RNS..
I came home from work and saw bubbles on the nostrils and slightly teary eyes. So its probably not the worms, but respiratory illness. great wat luck

samstar

5 Year Member
Checkout:
http://www.startortoiseuk.co.uk/
Get his feces test done first thing and if it does have worm eggs, treat with Panacure. Dr Fred at 64813700, Jalan Kayu, he's the best. I know quite a few in Singapore who go to him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
ISTortoiseLover said:
oh speaking of mimicking the sun, a local vet told a friend of mine that it was advisable to turn the heat lamp on at night... What are the justifications for doing so? Seriously confused here.

The vet was telling your friend to turn on a heat source to keep the tortoise warm at night. A heat source ISN'T a light, its some sort of heater with no light. The light makes warmth during the day and some other non-light heat source at night.

ISTortoiseLover

10 Year Member!
samstar said:
Checkout:
http://www.startortoiseuk.co.uk/
Get his feces test done first thing and if it does have worm eggs, treat with Panacure. Dr Fred at 64813700, Jalan Kayu, he's the best. I know quite a few in Singapore who go to him.

Ok i finally got to watch him eat few hours ago. Soaked him as well, he passed some urate.
He spent half hour munching on the dark green veges, ignored the cucumber completely. ha.. So i would say his appetite is good now. He crawled about, drank water. After eating, he crawled into the water pen n pooped. So i could not tell the consistency of it cos it got mushy in the water.
Yea ppl been mentioning Dr Fred, I know whom to look for now. :)

emysemys said:
ISTortoiseLover said:

The vet was telling your friend to turn on a heat source to keep the tortoise warm at night. A heat source ISN'T a light, its some sort of heater with no light. The light makes warmth during the day and some other non-light heat source at night.

Ah yes, that figures now, thx Yvonne. So the best bet would be purchasing those infrared heaters. Read that heating pads aren't that good for their guts?

Status
Not open for further replies.