Indian star tortoise behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masteryoda

5 Year Member
Hi everyone,

We're new to this forum.

Would like to ask for your thoughts re my pair of Indian Star torts.

Their sizes respectively are 5 inches and 6 inches respectively. As per the seller they are about a year and a half old.

Just to give you a background, we got the 5inch tort about 3 weeks ahead of the 6inch one. We got them from the same seller, they were really meant to be pairs its just that I had to ensure that i have a big enough enclosure before i took the other one home.

The new tort seems to be really shy, everytime i put her outside of the hide box she returns almost immediately. They seem to be adjusting to each other again. Would like to know if this is normal behavior. She is a picky eater also

The first tort seems to adjusting in a way that he does not go around as much as before, he still eats a lot but a lil picky (prefers carrots and squash) which i cant gove all the time.

Any advise or help or ideas will be appreciated

Our set up is:

- 5 feet by 2 feet outdoor enclosure
- Hidebox at one end and a hiding pot on another
- Substrate is coco peat and coco coir
- Temps are definitely warm, we live in the philippines so temps generally are 30 degrees give or take

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    848.7 KB · Views: 85

CLMoss

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Brooklyn, New York
Welcome!
Five or Six inches...they are much older than a year and a half... About putting a male and female together at that age, I would wait and see if the male becomes agressive. I know that my breeder has his males and female in different enclousers untill they are in season. or puts one of the males in the enclosure with his group of females to see of one of the females are ready to breed. But I do believe that two females and one male is the way to go if you are going to keep them together. I would go with a larger enclosure if you are going to keep them together or if you plan to get another female. OK, I am sure that another forum member will give you better info than me. Check Neal's culture sheet for proper diet. Hopefully he will chime in shortly. Good luck, Claudia

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Welcome, what province do you live in?

It seems like your hide would be a little too small for two tortoises of that size. It's hard to tell, but your hide only looks to be about 6 inches or so.

The behavior you are seeing is typical with any tortoise in a new home. It may take some time to adjust.

Are you getting them outside? You live in a great area where you could probably keep them outside all day and night, if you have the space and security to do so.

Masteryoda

5 Year Member
We're in manila, all the 3 torts are outdoors 24 hours.

In regard to the hide box, the size is 1 foot by 2 feet in one end plus a small pot on another. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.