indian star mating and breeding question????

Status
Not open for further replies.

pensal

5 Year Member
Hi,

these past 3 days, my sri lankan male has been mating with my female indian star, i sees many of white stuff on the ground what i believe came from the male after mating.
my question is, should i now separate the males or should i housed them together until the female lay egg?
how can if i tell if the mating procedure is successful or not?
i noticed that my females tail is getting thicker ( this, i don't actually really now if it does getting thicker or i just forgot how the tails looks like regularly.

thank you in advance!!

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
There is no problem with leaving the male in with the female. The white stuff your seeing is most likely urates and has nothing to do with the breeding. You won't know if he was successful until she lays and the eggs show signs they are fertile. :)

Danny

pensal

5 Year Member
egyptiandan said:
There is no problem with leaving the male in with the female. The white stuff your seeing is most likely urates and has nothing to do with the breeding. You won't know if he was successful until she lays and the eggs show signs they are fertile. :)

Danny

how do you know if it fertile or not? os it the same as how you check chicken's egg for fertility? with lights? i heard that some people recommend to still treat the in fertile egg *** the fertile one if in one clutch there is a fertile one?

long time no see danny, i dunno if you remember me, in turtle times, i am using tepen as my nickname

thank you

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Yes you would use a small flashlight to candle the eggs. On a fertile egg the yolk would settle to the bottom of the egg. Than the egg should turn bright white (chalking up) as the embryo grows. You should be able to see veins by 3 weeks and the small embryo by 4 weeks.
I do remember you :) It has been a while. How have the Stars been doing?

Danny

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I never candle any eggs. It is a waste of time and energy. The more you mess with an egg the more likely you are to kill it. Many eggs do not show any signs of development till later. Just set them up the right way and do not throw them out till they stink or explode! LOL For real, all joking aside. Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.