Incubator?

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Hi guys, I just bought a broken true display fridge. I plan on setting it up as an incubator but that will be a new step by step thread that will be spread out. I was wondering if once I get it setup I could keep my newly hatched redfoot in the incubator? I could have a UVB bulb in in there because there is a tube light in there and all I would have to do is replace it with a tube UVB light. but there couldn't be basking bulb. However the temps would be at 86-88 degrees Fahrenheit 24/7. The humidity will be at about 80% I thought that if this would be ok for him to live in there then it would be extremely easy to keep temps and humidity. My only concern is air flow. Would I need to take the tortoise out once a day? Or would it get (I don't know, out of oxygen) in there too quickly? Here is an attached picture. Also is 2 feet by 2 feet even big enough for a 1 month old tortoise?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 76

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi:

It seems to me that your "incubator" would be the same as a closed chamber. I see no reason why you couldn't set a baby up in there. I've read here on the Forum that RF tortoises can be kept at an overall temp of 80-85F and really don't need a hot side/cool side. I think you could just open the door a couple times a day for air exchange.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Hi:

It seems to me that your "incubator" would be the same as a closed chamber. I see no reason why you couldn't set a baby up in there. I've read here on the Forum that RF tortoises can be kept at an overall temp of 80-85F and really don't need a hot side/cool side. I think you could just open the door a couple times a day for air exchange.

I am afraid that by opening it, I might let to much heat out because the door is so big and eggs have to stay at a pretty constant temperature.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just a quick open - close isn't going to make much difference. Besides that, I'm sure there's a slight fluctuation in temps in nature also.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Just a quick open - close isn't going to make much difference. Besides that, I'm sure there's a slight fluctuation in temps in nature also.

Ok this is exactly what I was wondeting

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There is much debate about fluctuating temperatures during incubation. In the wild there is a significant amount of temp fluctuation every day and night, and seasonally too. Experiments are underway testing various incubation protocols for various species.

emystiong

10 Year Member!
Borneo
Have anyone of you noticed the depth of nest different species excavate .

Species from hot , dry area like leopard and sulcata dig deeper .

Species from the tropics have much shallow nest , some don't even bother to to dig down - red footed , manouria , elongated .........

I am from the tropics my sulcata dig much deeper nest at least 1 feet before I reach the nest chamber - so the total depth will be about 1.5 to 2 ft . ( any nest I miss don't usually hatch )

My red footed dig and drop egg at most 3 inch from the surface sometimes much shallow .

Cheers

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Incubator?

emystiong said:
Have anyone of you noticed the depth of nest different species excavate .

Species from hot , dry area like leopard and sulcata dig deeper .

Species from the tropics have much shallow nest , some don't even bother to to dig down - red footed , manouria , elongated .........

I am from the tropics my sulcata dig much deeper nest at least 1 feet before I reach the nest chamber - so the total depth will be about 1.5 to 2 ft . ( any nest I miss don't usually hatch )

My red footed dig and drop egg at most 3 inch from the surface sometimes much shallow .

Cheers

All I have ever had lay eggs is redfoots and our of 5 clutches, the deepest was 4ish inch's

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My sulcatas also dig down about 18". I'd estimate the mass of eggs is anywhere from 14-20" underground on average.

Mine will hatch if left in the ground and laid in a sunny spot. They will not hatch if laid in a shady spot.

I've had the best hatch rates if I leave the eggs in the ground, no matter when they are laid, and dig them up in mid to late June to put in the incubator. Some nests were laid in January, and then all the way through May. All eggs were left in the ground until the third week of June, and then all of them were dug up on the same day and put in the incubator. Hatch rates were in the high 90s to 100% for every clutch with this system. Thanks to Neal for the idea! :)

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTortForum1387828230.521950.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387828254.251271.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1387828277.503104.jpg
He is already more active and more hungry. The humidity stays at 80% without much help from me. I think this should work well.

Last edited by a moderator: