Increasing water hardness?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
Like joesmum, my fish tank water changes were less. But on my 125gal turtle tank (with 3 small turtles) I did 25% a week. For me that worked well. Overtime you might find a different % works better for your tank. But at least now you know not to do complete changes ;)

I also used sand substrate with the turtles. I had no issues with the sand and would do it again. However, I will point out that it was turned up each water change with the Siphon hose (python siphon) so concerns of it not having oxygen or circulation are not applicable.

All of my water changes have always been done with a Siphon. I love that thing.
10gals
125 gals
1,000 gals
and even with a 30,000 gal salt water exhibit that I siphoned from the inside while scuba diving.

I would never do it any other way. :cool:

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My best friend.... Lol
Screenshot_20171115-094506.png

I've used different size tubes and sometimes connected multiple hoses.
In household tanks I used the faucet attachment but with the large exhibit I used gravity and put the end of the hose into a nearby floor drain.

*I want to clarify*
This was how I drained the tank NOT how I refilled it. When refilling a tank I prefer to mix the water before adding it. Either making my own salt water or treating the tap water.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My birthday is next week, so I’ve asked hubby for a Python with 50-Ft extension!!!:)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Yvonne, THANK YOU :<3: for remembering Jacques and noticing how much she has grown!!!:)
I'm amazed at how fond I am of my little diva :)!!!!

@Yvonne G

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
My best friend.... Lol
View attachment 222916

I've used different size tubes and sometimes connected multiple hoses.
In household tanks I used the faucet attachment but with the large exhibit I used gravity and put the end of the hose into a nearby floor drain.

*I want to clarify*
This was how I drained the tank NOT how I refilled it. When refilling a tank I prefer to mix the water before adding it. Either making my own salt water or treating the tap water.
Thank you! :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
i think the sand bottom as is , is a poor choice , without water and oxygen circulating through it , i'd think it'd be a source of anaerobic bacteria ..... i'd also think if the nitrates were as high as your test tells you , you'd be having trouble with algae ?
What do you use not the bottom of your turtle tank? :rolleyes:

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
in the tanks or ponds with undergravel filters I use stones , as for the size , the last time I bought some I bought calico stones from home depot ..... in tanks and ponds without undergravel filters I use nothing ........ I've used sand before , when I broke the tank down the smell from the sand was terrible , when I break down a tank or just clean the muck out from below an undergravel filter it is always odorless , I've read the smell of the sand is normal and not harmful , but I didn't like it and don't believe I've ever seen any evidence of it's harmlessness other than anecdotal ..........have you tried cleaning the impeller on your filter , i'd guess your flow problem might be no more than that . I personally think you can move the water through a filter to fast , I think moving slowly through a gravel bed or your ceramic bio media is best ....... I've got three 4"-5" n.a. wood turtles that have lived in a home depot cement tub , full of rocks water and plants ,since last may . i'm waiting for it to start to freeze to take them out and put them in a fridge , I've never cleaned it or changed the water since I put them in there 6 months ago , it might be 15 gallons of water . the water is pumped into a 35quart trash can full of gravel at no more than 20-40 gallons an hour , and drains back into the tub . last I seen them , the turtles were bright , heavy and healthy looking , the water is perfectly clear and odorless , there has never been any algae . it does pass through a uv filter before it drains into the trash can ........ falling water into the tank or an airstone is a big deal ,well oxygenated water is a good thing ..... jmo

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
in the tanks or ponds with undergravel filters I use stones , as for the size , the last time I bought some I bought calico stones from home depot ..... in tanks and ponds without undergravel filters I use nothing ........ I've used sand before , when I broke the tank down the smell from the sand was terrible , when I break down a tank or just clean the muck out from below an undergravel filter it is always odorless , I've read the smell of the sand is normal and not harmful , but I didn't like it and don't believe I've ever seen any evidence of it's harmlessness other than anecdotal ..........have you tried cleaning the impeller on your filter , i'd guess your flow problem might be no more than that . I personally think you can move the water through a filter to fast , I think moving slowly through a gravel bed or your ceramic bio media is best ....... I've got three 4"-5" n.a. wood turtles that have lived in a home depot cement tub , full of rocks water and plants ,since last may . i'm waiting for it to start to freeze to take them out and put them in a fridge , I've never cleaned it or changed the water since I put them in there 6 months ago , it might be 15 gallons of water . the water is pumped into a 35quart trash can full of gravel at no more than 20-40 gallons an hour , and drains back into the tub . last I seen them , the turtles were bright , heavy and healthy looking , the water is perfectly clear and odorless , there has never been any algae . it does pass through a uv filter before it drains into the trash can ........ falling water into the tank or an airstone is a big deal ,well oxygenated water is a good thing ..... jmo
Thanks, Mark- I appreciate your experience and input!
I've still got a lot to learn and it gets a bit overwhelming at times! :confused: