Incandescent Flood Bulb In PVC Closed Chamber

ReiGuy

Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Hi Everyone,

For those of you using PVC and high impact plastic type closed chambers for your tortoises, may you please let me know or show pictures of how you install your incandescent flood bulbs for the basking area?

I used a grow tent for my last one and the cross beams in the top allowed me to easily setup my food bulb, CHEs, LEDs, and arcadia strip where I could hang them from the beams and adjust them as needed to dial in. In closed chambers for my snakes, I've installed radiant heat panels and LEDs to the top of the chambers by just screwing them to the top but have never needed to install a basking bulb you can hang.

For the next time around, rather than a grow tent, I've decided I'm going with a pre-built closed chamber, so wanted to get your feedback on how you've found it's best to set up the flood bulbs.Thank you for any insight you can lend.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I screwed cup hooks into the PVC top and attached the light and CHE fixtures by decorative metal chain. That way I can raise or lower them as necessary. I did the same with my t8 fixture.

ReiGuy

NJ
I screwed cup hooks into the PVC top and attached the light and CHE fixtures by decorative metal chain. That way I can raise or lower them as necessary. I did the same with my t8 fixture.

Thank you! I Iove this and it would give me the same type of flexibility I had with those cross beams in the tent.

ReiGuy

NJ
I also use cup hooks to hang small plant pots. It looks nice and the plants helps the humidity.
Thank you, this is a really cool idea as well. I've been thinking about creating a trellis-esque type feature this time around to keep some of the pothos growth off the ground to protect it from trampling/provide higher up natural shade in a section of the enclosure, and this is now giving me a lot more ideas to think about.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
Have you considered creating a platform that your plants could sit on and drape down? I created a platform with a ramp for my tort's enclosure. He trucks up it several times a day to eat, but if you didn't put a ramp, the plant(s) would be safe from bulldozing.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan
Have you considered creating a platform that your plants could sit on and drape down? I created a platform with a ramp for my tort's enclosure. He trucks up it several times a day to eat, but if you didn't put a ramp, the plant(s) would be safe from bulldozing.
This sounds really cool! Would you mind sharing a picture of what you created so I can visualize it better? I’m always looking for new creative ideas and this sounds like a good one.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
This photo was before plants and tortoise were added.

Attachments

• AD193F47-F55E-4288-9355-BDD4003B010C.jpeg
    AD193F47-F55E-4288-9355-BDD4003B010C.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 55

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
It is a free-standing structure so I can take it out at any time to clean, replace the coco carpet, etc. It‘s just a PVC board base with PVC pipe legs. PVC caps were glued to the underside, and PVC piping lengths were inserted to create the legs. The ramp is hinged so I can lift it if necessary. I cut a piece of coco planter liner to fit the landing and ramp to give traction.

Mrs.Jennifer

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Norwich CT
I also took out his hide because never used it. He uses under the ramp as a hide! I used plexiglass as a border for safety.