Incandescent bulbs

Dbrocato2

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Taunton, MA
does it matter what type of incandescent flood bulb is used for basking? Example: par38, br30, r20.. etc

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Yes it matters with some. You need a flood type bulb not a spot type. So, that would be the ones labeled BR (bulged reflector). The PAR (parabolic aluminized reflector) are spot bulbs.

The numbers are simply the diameter of the bulb in 1/8 inch increments. SO that doesn't matter. For example the BR30 is perfect for what you want. BR means flood bulb and the 30 means it is 30/8 or 3-3/4" in diameter.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes it matters with some. You need a flood type bulb not a spot type. So, that would be the ones labeled BR (bulged reflector). The PAR (parabolic aluminized reflector) are spot bulbs.

The numbers are simply the diameter of the bulb in 1/8 inch increments. SO that doesn't matter. For example the BR30 is perfect for what you want. BR means flood bulb and the 30 means it is 30/8 or 3-3/4" in diameter.

wow! Who knew! Tks

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Of course you are correct. I completely forgot about the spot/flood difference. Thanks for getting me back on track!

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Turn the lights’ turn the lights down low’.. sorry this thread got that song stuck in my head
I think its.. " ♪ ♫ Lock the door and turn the lights down low, put some music on that's soft and slow... ♫ ♪ " Come on... one of my favorite songs!

FavoriteTortoise

Lincoln Ne

Can you post a link to amazon for an example please?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just do a search for "BR30 incandescent light bulb" Some will pop up and you have to look through to check they are incandescent, not replacement LED. I get few choices and they are marked that they cannot be shipped to me in California.

Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002CZ1E4M/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

Br30 bulb.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just got this pack of 6 45 watt spot light incandescent bulbs for $9 on AMAZON.
I use them for my Chameleons to bask.
For them, its important that the lights aren't so hot that they will get burned. Because they instinctively get as close to the light as they can to bask.

Attachments

• 20200808_124515.jpg
    20200808_124515.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I just got this pack of 6 45 watt spot light incandescent bulbs for $9 on AMAZON.
I use them for my Chameleons to bask.
For them, its important that the lights aren't so hot that they will get burned. Because they instinctively get as close to the light as they can to bask.
I'm surprised that you use a spot instead of a flood. Seems like a flood would lessen the chance of burning.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'm surprised that you use a spot instead of a flood. Seems like a flood would lessen the chance of burning.
Spots are okay for some reptiles in some situations. They just aren't good for tortoises due to the carapace desiccation they cause, which contributes to pyramiding. It would be okay to use one for your skink for example, making sure the temperature under it was correct. I sometimes use them because I can use a lower wattage spot bulb, but still get heat where I need it for a non-tortoise, basking reptile.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Those are actually not spot bulbs. The "R" is the old style bulb that was the standard light to go into a recessed fixture. The "neck" of the bulb is narrower than with the newer, BR bulbs that have now replaced them. The "B" in BR actually stands for "Bulged Reflector". Spot bulbs need a Parabolic reflector that focuses the light coming out of the bulb. Those are labeled PAR (parabolic aluminized reflector) and they are considered "spot" as the beam emitted is focused to less than 33°. A "flood" bulb is normally in the 45° range.