Incandescent bulb for basking

rodders

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi all, I've been following advice on this forum for a while to improve everything I can for our tortoise. I picked up on a lot of forums by @Tom and @Markw84 that incandescent bulbs are better for basking than a reptile spot bulb. I'm in the UK and have struggled to find any non-LED ones. Managed to find the attached - it references the bulb is for traffic light use only and not household. @Tom and @Markw84 do you know if this will be okay as a basking bulb?

Attachments

• IMG_8295.JPG
    IMG_8295.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Google search was bust. But I found a GB EBay listing for a huge lot of those. Based on the description and photo you have an outdoor spot light and it should work. Test it first without the tort, but you may have found a diamond in this LED ?!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi all, I've been following advice on this forum for a while to improve everything I can for our tortoise. I picked up on a lot of forums by @Tom and @Markw84 that incandescent bulbs are better for basking than a reptile spot bulb. I'm in the UK and have struggled to find any non-LED ones. Managed to find the attached - it references the bulb is for traffic light use only and not household. @Tom and @Markw84 do you know if this will be okay as a basking bulb?
It looks suitable, but it doesn't list the angle of the bulb on the package. An angle of narrow focus would make this a "spot" bulb. An angle of wider focus would put this in the "flood" bulb category. Does it list this elsewhere on the packaging?

rodders

London
It looks suitable, but it doesn't list the angle of the bulb on the package. An angle of narrow focus would make this a "spot" bulb. An angle of wider focus would put this in the "flood" bulb category. Does it list this elsewhere on the packaging?

Thanks for your reply. Attached is the only other information on the packaging - I can't see anything about angle of bulb. Also below is the link for where I bought it from. https://www.any-lamp.co.uk/standard-incandescent-reflector-e27-r80-75w-230v

Attachments

• IMG_8296.JPG
    IMG_8296.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8297.JPG
    IMG_8297.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 16

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Based on the shape of that bulb, it should be a very good basking light. It's shape would not focus the light in to a narrow beam. As a "traffic light bulb" it would be intended to put out a broad and fairly even light pattern very quickly. Just check with your thermometer under the bulb once in place to ensure there is no real hot narrow spot. The look of the light it projects onto the basking area should be fairly even in a wide circle. Check that pattern with no other lights on in the enclosure just to be sure.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I also think it is safe but I just wanted to say on google it says that bulb is LED
At 75 watts that bulb is not LED. The note on the label also says it does not comply to EU law for household use - which is a law requiring energy efficient lighting.

rodders

London
Bulb is in and working fine. Will have to see how it goes energy use wise!

Out of interesting, is there anything wrong with these reptile bulbs - aside from being more expensive?