Inactive tortoise

EmiliaEvan

Location (City and/or State)
Worcestershire, England
Good morning,

My Greek spur-thighed tortoises have been very inactive over the last three months and have stopped gaining weight. Previously they were gaining about 3g each a week. They don't bask under the light anymore and they frequently bury themselves or hide. Nothing in their care has changed, so I am a little concerned that they could be ill or there may be some husbandry problem that is kicking in.

They are fed a variety of:
dandelions
sow thistle
lambs lettuce
plantain
clover
radicchio
cucumber (as a treat)
occasionally mazuri

They have access to cuttlefish and we sprinkle their food with nutrobal. We use a heat lamp with an exoterra daylight basking spot and have a UV strip. The substrate is coco coir and the humidity is always above 60% (normally above 80%). We soak them 6 times a week.

Their temperatures are good: it is 36 under the basking spot and 22 in the coldest part of the enclosure.

I know this will be asked: THEY DO NOT LIVE TOGETHER.

They are nearly a year old and the biggest weight 170g and the smaller one 145g.

Anyone got any advice?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Post pics of their enclosures.
Everything sounds pretty good.
Just incase they are getting sickly, bump the over all temps up to 80 and no lower then 75 at night.
Usually if a tort is sick we bump up the temps. Even though we don't know for sure what's going on, I would bump them up as a precaution. Do this either until they act normal, its figured out what's going on or at least a couple weeks.

EmiliaEvan

Worcestershire, England
Post pics of their enclosures.
Everything sounds pretty good.
Just incase they are getting sickly, bump the over all temps up to 80 and no lower then 75 at night.
Usually if a tort is sick we bump up the temps. Even though we don't know for sure what's going on, I would bump them up as a precaution. Do this either until they act normal, its figured out what's going on or at least a couple weeks.

Hi,

Sorry for the slow reply.

Here is a picture of one of the torts enclosure. The other tortoise has pretty much exactly the same set up. I'm not sure if you can see, but we keep it covered to maintain humidity levels.

Attachments

• 135843153_1354660528210929_3588921628078830360_n (1).jpg
    135843153_1354660528210929_3588921628078830360_n (1).jpg
    397.1 KB · Views: 14

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
your basking temp is good, but your ambient is definitely too low for daytime. like wellington said, bump it up to at least 27 Celsius if not a little higher.