Inactive tortoise in outside enclosure in Cyprus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyprus Lady

5 Year Member
I'm new to owning a tortoise and have been given a fairly large, female Greek that was found in the road by a friend. She seems to come out of her shelter about twice a day to eat then returns to her shelter again. Should she be more active than that? How much should I be feeding her (once a day or twice a day) The temperatures by day are about 30*- 32* (86-90) - is it just the heat? She has a terracotta water bowl that I see her sitting in occassionally. I'm not sure how much activity to expect from her.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
At those temperatures, you will find your tort is most active in the early hours of the morning and in the evening. Make sure you leave food out overnight if you are not a very early riser... Joe doesn't seem to care if it's a bit wilted and I'm sure your Greek won't either!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Ditto with what JoesMum said. Also, as for how much to feed, I personally like to give enough that they have left overs for any munching they may want to do later on. I feed all my animals so they can much all day if they want. Never had an over weight animal yet, well not the four legged kind. The two legged, well we need to stop munching all day:D

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Your tortoise is still probably getting use to her new environment. Give her some time... My little Shelby was the same when i first got her... Also please try to monitor the humidity of your terrarium... how big is it and how often do you take her out? Give us a little more information maybe we can give you a more direct answer...

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
This one's outdoors, I think, in the perfect Greek climate... Cyprus!

Torts do take time to adjust to new surroundings... They can take weeks, if not months, to work out that their new home and owner are safe :)

Status
Not open for further replies.