In over my head with Box Turtle!

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
This is my cranky problematic box turtle Cardboard. I adopted him over a year ago and when he first came home he ate ALL THE THINGS. He was eager to try the variety of goodies I put on his plate.

But over time he became increasingly disinterested in all but live food.

Now for the past four months or so, he has become completely limited in what he will eat. Ignoring the fruits and greens I offer. Also refusing crickets and dubia roaches. Only eating super worms. :(
For the past month he has eaten very little, spending most of his time buried. Last week he did take some super worms, and finally some crickets, but still ignoring his other food offerings. I do continue to offer him a daily assortment of greens & fruits.

I am afraid i'm not giving him a quality life and wonder if I shouldn't re-home him...I'm frustrated and am open to suggestions.

His habitat is a 1.5 x 6ft section of a 4 x 6 ft tortoise table. (The table is sectioned off to allow for him to share with my Russian Torty.) He has a MVP light at one end so a warm and cool end, plus his own private 'pool' made from a painters pan.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

tortdad

5 Year Member
NW Houston TX
Some just like the worms. Keep offering the good stuff. If you decide to get rid of it I would take it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think your problem is he needs to be outside. He's "in the mood" so to speak, because of the time of year. Most turtles and tortoises do much better when set up in a safe outdoor habitat.

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I think it is that time of year too. My boxie really only wants live food as well.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
Some just like the worms. Keep offering the good stuff. If you decide to get rid of it I would take it.

I don't really want to "get rid" of him. I just want him to have a healthy happy life and I worry about him. (As I do with all my wee critters)

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
I think your problem is he needs to be outside. He's "in the mood" so to speak, because of the time of year. Most turtles and tortoises do much better when set up in a safe outdoor habitat.

Yeah, that probably plays a lot into it. I am going to set something up this Sunday to give him some Sunshine time. I also ordered some Hornworms, silkworms and some other goodies to offer him and the other wiggly eating kids as well.

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
It took alot of years (beyond hatchling and juvenile years) before my boxies began to enjoy greens and occassional berries. Try not to worry, just be sure to offer small amounts and greens and berries and least once or twice a week. I also give them a couple of Mazuri Pellets softened in water and mixed with about a teaspoon of catfood, once a week to help ensure a good diet of nutrients they may not get from their live foods.

Eric Zukowski

Not sure if species of box turtle makes a big diffrence but none of my eastern boxies ever refuse earthworms. Just now getting into 3 toeds, gulf coast, florida, and soon the others I will see how they like them.

Marty T

My gulf coast very rarely eats worms.
I feed her grapes, strawberries, cantaloupe, corn, cherry tomatoes, and add some t-Rex box turtle dry food moistend.
Sometimes she may only eat once a week no matter what I put out.
Just keep trying things and mixing them up until you figure out what it wants.
I have learned here that variety is the key.

Terrapin

5 Year Member
Texas
Well I'm a year in to my stewardship with him and he used to eat just about everything put down for him. I miss that.
He has buried himself now for the past five days. Even when I don't see him I leave food out for him. I got my order of horn worms, silk worms and such yesterday. Hopefully Cardboard will show his cranky lil face so I can offer him up some. I made sure to pick up an even wider variety of greens, fruits and some veggies (i.e carrots and fresh cut green beans) to leave out.

Dean Wirth

Alberta
Mine never ever pass up strawberries, or earthworms. box turtles will bury themselves for days and not only in winter. They just have slow metabolisms, and may not eat for days, that's ok. He looks grown up so he should be eating veggies and fruit. Banana chunks are also a treat but not good for them as a staple. Box turtles like cats are finicky and go through eating phases. Just remember they are reptiles and don't eat every day, (though my female Gamera does lol). Take the food away after a few hours so they see that it is not a permanent fixture.