In need of good information

Carolhanna

5 Year Member
[/align]I have two ornate box turtles, and 1 sulcata baby tortoise. I also live on 5 acres of semi arid gound in southern foothills of Colorado. This forum looks to be just what I am needing for the care of my turtles.
Always wanted a tortoise, but never realized the care involved. People leave a lot of unwanted
Dogs off here, thinking a farm will take the dog in, so when I seen a ornate box turtle crossing the road, my first thought was who would dump off a turtle!!?? So I stopped and rescued him. Later, after spending $120, I found out that he was a native here, but that I probably saved his life because he should have been in hibernation, but that may not have been true either.
So now I am in need of information. I have been reading info on turtles and tortoises and found that I have made lots of mistakes already. I do love all animals, and do not want any suffering under my care.
My first question is how deep can I make the substrate, my tanks are not as big as they should be, so I thought that if the box turtle could at least dig he might be a little happier until I get the proper size tank.
Any help I receive from anyone will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Carol Hanna
[align=right]
:tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Carol:

Welcome to the Forum!!

For your little sulcata, read the "important threads" at the top of the Sulcata section. We have learned new ways of caring for baby sulcatas that make the old, hot/dry method obsolete.

For the box turtles, here's a link to a good care sheet:

http://www.austinsturtlepage.com/Care/cs-ornateboxie.htm

While we don't condone taking turtles and tortoises from the wild, or approve of any illegal activity, it might be a good idea that you took this turtle in. Even though it is a native, it most likely was dropped of by someone who no longer wanted to care for it (because, like you said, if it were wild, it would have been hibernating).

I have referred you to read about your animals at other locations, but, after you've done your reading, if you have any questions, we are very happy to help you. Just post a new thread about it in the appropriate section.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome:). Some more good reading for your Sully is located below in my post. They are of a member named Tom. Some might be the same Yvonne pointed you too.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Carol welcome to the TFO from
Phx. AZ

Hello Carol welcome to the TFO from
Phx. AZ

Sorry about twice

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
how deep can I make the substrate

As deep as possible without letting the level get so high that the critter can easily hook the top and swoop on out....the deeper the better :D