In Memoriam

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
MCTLONG WROTE THIS AFTER DAVID'S RAINBOW BRIDGE THREAD, AND I'VE MERGED THE TWO, BUT MCTLONG'S WAS FURTHER DOWN. SO I CUT IT AND MOVED IT UP HERE. THE GREEN PART IS MCTLONG'S POST:

This week I've noticed several posts about members loosing shelled family members. I don’t know about you guys, but I mourn for every last one, from the youngest hatchlings to the very old torts who have been with their owners for decades. Although I have not met most of these little torts or their owners in person, I cry almost every time I hear about one of them passing. Searching the forum, I could not find a group In Memoriam thread, so this is a thread to remember all our shelled friends who have been lost. This is a thread to post pics and memories of the shelled loved ones who have passed, offer support to their owners, and never forget how much our lives have been enriched by these beautiful creatures.

Here are some of torts that have been lost recently -

• Craig’s (@Anyfoot) beautiful homeana adult and redfoot hatchling
  • @Sweet0dodo’s tortoise
  • Maggie’s (@maggie3fan) Bob the Sulcata

:tort: Rest in Peace. :tort:

And now on to David's thread:

So I have been posting the poem rainbow bridge for awhile whenever someone loses a tortoise, I always felt bad since it seems written more for cats or dogs, as we all know we love our tortoises as much as anyone else who loves a cat or dog. So I decided to rewrite rainbow bridge for tortoises.

Just this side of heaven is a place called rainbow bridge.
When a tortoise dies who was loved by someone, that tortoise goes to rainbow bridge.
There are wide open plains and warm basking spots for all our beloved tortoises to spend all day basking in the warm sun. There is plenty of grass, and flowers, lots of warm water to soak in. Our friends are all warm and comfortable, and play together all day long

All the tortoises who have been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remembered them in our dreams of days and time gone by. The tortoises are happy and content, except for one small thing. They each miss someone very special who had to be left behind.

They all bask, and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are eager and intent, his shell starts to wiggle. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, his stubby legs carrying him over the plains, faster than they ever could in life.

You have been spotted, and when you and your tortoise meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy head rubs commence, your hands once again caress your tortoise's head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your beloved tortoise, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author known.

Last edited by a moderator:

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
The original as always made me cry. I went to Bark for Life with my aunt (for those who haven't heard of it- like me before last fall its basically Relay for Life for dogs and pet cancers, and at the closing ceremonies they had a reading of the poem and a balloon releasing and there was not a dry face in the park.
I love this adaption. I never realized the other one didn't fit until I red this one, its beautiful! teared me up just like the original so I guess its successful, and I now know i'm not alone in the tears!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I'd like to take a moment to post about my best buddy, Chester who got ill and had to be put to sleep a few weeks ago.
He was very important to me and we had a 15 year run...
Here is a puppy photo and the last photo ever taken...from the vets office. Also a photo of the box with his remains. I still haven't been able to deal with that part..
Thanks for viewing.
Chester 2000-2015

Attachments

• 20150903_152414.jpg
    20150903_152414.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 127
  • 20150807_091529-1-1.jpg
    20150807_091529-1-1.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 120
  • 20140826_150108-1.jpg
    20140826_150108-1.jpg
    832.6 KB · Views: 118