In ground water sprinklers

Jamieclvrt

Location (City and/or State)
Killeen, TX
I’ve been looking into getting a Russian tortoise. I live and Texas and want to build an outdoor enclosure; however, I’m concerned about my sprinklers. 1. Will the wetness from the sprinklers make him sick or would it just be like rain that they experience in their natural environment. 2. I’m concerned the Russian will dig and break my pipes.( note the enclosure will not be over any pipes. They will be outside of the enclosure but close by)

zovick

10 Year Member!
A Russian Tortoise should not be strong enough to break the sprinkler pipes (at least not if they are the same material as what I have here in GA). Also, my tortoises were not bothered by the water from my sprinkler system when it came on. They enjoyed it, just as they did when it really rained.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I agree with what Mr. Zovickian said.

I would set the sprinklers to run at night when the tortoise is locked in its night shelter for most of the year, and then set them to run a few shorts bursts per day in the super hot Texas summer months. Something like five minutes every couple hours starting around noon and going until the afternoon. Maybe noon, two and four. Just an idea to help cool them in the hottest part of the year.

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
Yeah, the sprinklers are fine as long as they can dry pretty soon after. If they go to sleep every night wet, it could get bad. If they have time to dry off throughout the day, it is fine though.