Importing a Tortoise from the UK to Canada (As an immigrant)

Taylorannc

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario, Canada
Hi All,

I’m currently in the process of moving to Canada from the UK and have a horsfield tortoise that I would like to bring with me. Based on the Canadian government website it’s legally possible, however, I’m struggling to find a company willing to ship for me.

Any advice or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Even a company able to ship from mainland Europe would be a possibility for me to use.

Thanks in Advance,
Taylor

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm sorry, I don't have any information for you. I just wanted to respond so your post doesn't get lost in the shuffle. Oh, and Welcome to the Forum!

Taylorannc

Ontario, Canada
Thank you both!

I’m worried I may be complicating things if I send to the USA first is all. Plus it’s probably easier on the tort for the journey to be as short as possible!

TortoiseRacket

New York
If you don’t want to do that, don’t do it! I’m sure there is another way. I hope you find it and welcome to the forum!
Best,

Mickey

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You're right. Don't send to the U.S. first.

Taylorannc

Ontario, Canada
I ended up just carrying him on the plane! Didn’t mention it to the airline but wasn’t asked. I did have all the necessary permits and paperwork done which were checked at customs. He’s now successfully arrived in Canada! [emoji5]

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I ended up just carrying him on the plane! Didn’t mention it to the airline but wasn’t asked. I did have all the necessary permits and paperwork done which were checked at customs. He’s now successfully arrived in Canada! [emoji5]

Great! What kind of carrier/box did you use? Did you have to “declare” it, or just walk on through. Simple is best, and it saved you a fortune.

Reptilony

QC, CAN

Good job, I would probably have done the same

Ketta

Venezuela
How you did that.. what paperworks are needed? I'm in Venezuela and would like to move to USA either next year or in 2021 after I graduate from university. I should graduate in December of next year.

Taylorannc

Ontario, Canada
How you did that.. what paperworks are needed? I'm in Venezuela and would like to move to USA either next year or in 2021 after I graduate from university. I should graduate in December of next year.
The USA seems a lot more complicated to bring a tortoise in as it varies so much by state! For Canada I just needed an import permit (no CITES needed as he's annex B of schedule II)!

Taylorannc

Ontario, Canada
Great! What kind of carrier/box did you use? Did you have to “declare” it, or just walk on through. Simple is best, and it saved you a fortune.
Yes I did declare him, I didn't want to do anything illegal! They sent me to secondary inspection and the agent said called CITES to ensure it was all ok. Thankfully horsfield's are in annex B so much less restricted by CITES!

Just had a small animal carrier in a bag that would fit under the seat in front of me and a few little heat pads. :)

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
As far as I know no state has restructions on redfoot(feet?) the big problem is the FED and possible quaratine depending on what state( take hawaii for example)

Mimi J

Vancouver
Hello! Your post really gave me hope, I’m moving to Canada as a immigrant too, and don’t want to leave my 21 year old tortoise behind. I read only zoos/reasearch centers get import permits - how did you work around that?

rhuthetort

Essex, UK
Yes I did declare him, I didn't want to do anything illegal! They sent me to secondary inspection and the agent said called CITES to ensure it was all ok. Thankfully horsfield's are in annex B so much less restricted by CITES!

Just had a small animal carrier in a bag that would fit under the seat in front of me and a few little heat pads. :)

That's great news you managed to get your tortoise to Canada. I am having the exact same issue, moving from UK to Canada and want to bring my horsefield tortoise. I have the import permit from the CFIA but am struggling to get an airline or company to ship him. May I ask what airline you flew with with your tort and what airport you went from? Is it easy to get your tortoise through security? Thanks

Canadian Mojo

Ontario
I can't offer much help other than to repeat this from a previous thread.

Start here:
https://www.inspection.gc.ca/animal...es-or-turtles/eng/1326658752555/1326658911065

The .gc.ca extension means it is an official Canadian government page, so it should be pretty accurate, but that's not a grantee. Start now, because our bureaucracy can be slow and full of idiots.

Good luck.

(link to original thread: https://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/urgent-help-moving-out-of-country.188526/#post-1902254 )

mei

Toronto
Congratulations! I’m planning to bring my pet tortoise into canada with me as well, im moving. But the government regulations seems to forbid personal import, wondering what documents did you prepared. Thanks!