Importation of turtles/tortoises/eggs into Canada is illegal (discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
So say I was moving to canada (being an american) I could import my tortoise with me, but If I was a canadian living in the US and then moved back to canada I could not take my tortoise with me?

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
This seems so wierd to me. Is Canada salmonella free and trying to keep it out? That is the only way I can wrap my head around this as salmonella comes from many animals. I can understand making people get permits for a pet that counld be dangerous or hurt the enviroment if it was realeased.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
DMMJ I am sure you could bring your tortoises back with you if you lived in the USA since you were living in another Country.
Angi, It is not only for salmonella, it is also for other patogen and bacterias.

cross7fu

5 Year Member
hi guys, I was super busy last week and didn't get a chance to tell u what CFIA answered me.
anyways, what I've got from them is if I want to import a turtle from my country to Canada as a pet,
I need to bring it with me in person, and I need an import permit, which I need to apply 30 days before
me and my turtle arrive.
So from my understanding we can bring turtles to Canada based on these two conditions, and of course
if the turtle is in CITES list we need to apply for an CITES permit as well.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
cross7fu said:
hi guys, I was super busy last week and didn't get a chance to tell u what CFIA answered me.
anyways, what I've got from them is if I want to import a turtle from my country to Canada as a pet,
I need to bring it with me in person, and I need an import permit, which I need to apply 30 days before
me and my turtle arrive.
So from my understanding we can bring turtles to Canada based on these two conditions, and of course

Thanks for letting us know :)
Are you living in Canada now?

cross7fu

5 Year Member
Isa said:
cross7fu said:
me and my turtle arrive.

Thanks for letting us know :)
Are you living in Canada now?
Yes I am
and I'm planning to import 2 turtles from hong kong, hope it works.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
cross7fu said:
Yes I am

Will you go back there or will someone else will bring the turtles with them?

cross7fu

5 Year Member
Isa said:
cross7fu said:
Yes I am

Will you go back there or will someone else will bring the turtles with them?
I will and I have to go back there and bring them to canada:)

Hustler

5 Year Member
Alberta Canada Eh
I was under the impression that there were a few stores in ontario that recieved import permits for sale purposes and that they had been bringing in tortoises for the last year every few months???
Ive met a few guys with educational permits but when they expire they have to be shipped back or taken to a zoo as far as i understand? either way they cant keep them or sell them.
Ive imported CITES fish from singapore captive bred in farms ect ect..... I dont see how we cant do the same with torts out of say the USA???
Is there no way to challenge this seeing as there is really no basis for the laws when cases overflowing with bally pythins and lizards covered in mites are crossing the boarder daily with no observations???
Sorry this is a touchy topic for me as there are VERY few breeders out my way and shipping a tort across canada ends up costing as much as the tort itself with the prices we have to pay its insane.... PJs Pets west edmonton mall $800 for a baby northern redfoot.... and it sold....

Turt39

5 Year Member
i know that this thread has long been dead....

but i'm officially really frustrated that i have been unsuccessful with getting any good leads that will get me a tortoise in BC, Canada. how disappointing..... RES are out and about swimming amongst the potentially salmonella-tainted water, so how is that any different than a cute little tortoise...

Canada is a great country..... but some of their rules/regulations just don't make sense. the closest way that i can get my hands on one is to smuggle it through the US border.... but imagine the consequences.... sigh....

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Turt39 said:
i know that this thread has long been dead....

but i'm officially really frustrated that i have been unsuccessful with getting any good leads that will get me a tortoise in BC, Canada. how disappointing..... RES are out and about swimming amongst the potentially salmonella-tainted water, so how is that any different than a cute little tortoise...

Canada is a great country..... but some of their rules/regulations just don't make sense. the closest way that i can get my hands on one is to smuggle it through the US border.... but imagine the consequences.... sigh....

You're not alone on this. I've went over the option of smuggling more than once.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
Tom said:
Discussion pertaining to this thread - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ses-eggs-into-Canada-is-illegal#axzz1GUUNuZGu

What a wonderful government you have up there. So nice of them to protect all you ignorant Canadians from the scourge of tortoise born salmonella. Its a wonder that any of us are even still alive down here. What would you all do up there without your omnipotent government to look out for you?

ignorant canadains? really you dont see canadians on here talking about the people from the u.s im pretty sure your the ignorant one

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Bobby: That was said tongue-in-cheek. He was not disparaging the people, but rather the government. Please read his apology in post #4.

bobbymoore

5 Year Member
Stoney creek ontario
nah its just the fact that he would be so rude to say it

and its B.S that you can import tortoises i just bought one out of new jersey and hes going to be here friday morning

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Let us know if you actually receive it. We had a member last year who ordered and paid for a tortoise from Florida (I think that was where it was coming from) from a reputable tortoise seller, and the tortoise was not allowed past the border. I don't remember the outcome, whether the member ever got his money back or not.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
bobbymoore said:
nah its just the fact that he would be so rude to say it

and its B.S that you can import tortoises i just bought one out of new jersey and hes going to be here friday morning

Tom's comment was sarcastic. He was not calling Canadians ignorant, he meant exactly the opposite. It was a joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.