Importation of turtles/tortoises/eggs into Canada is illegal (discussion thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Discussion pertaining to this thread - http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ses-eggs-into-Canada-is-illegal#axzz1GUUNuZGu

What a wonderful government you have up there. So nice of them to protect all you ignorant Canadians from the scourge of tortoise born salmonella. Its a wonder that any of us are even still alive down here. What would you all do up there without your omnipotent government to look out for you?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
RE: Importation of turtles/tortoises/eggs into Canada is ilegal

Tom I know what you mean with the salmonella, but seriously, I really do not appreciate the name calling!! Calling us Canadian Ignorant is a little too far! You could have just ignored this thread instead of insulting us!!! I posted this thread to inform people that it was not legal, I did not ask for your opinion!

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country

I don't understand the threat from eggs.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Isa said:
Tom I know what you mean with the salmonella, but seriously, I really do not appreciate the name calling!! Calling us Canadian Ignorant is a little too far! You could have just ignored this thread instead of insulting us!!! I posted this thread to inform people that it was not legal, I did not ask for your opinion!

I guess you couldn't tell, but I was using EXTREME sarcasm to point out that Canadians ARE NOT ignorant in the least.

I was trying to point out that your government is oppressive and overbearing (even worse than ours) and that Canadians, like the rest of the world, do not need permission from any governmental body to have a pet tortoise. My point is that I think you and any other Canadian has enough sense to make their own decisions about what harmless pets to bring into their homes.

Sorry. Just a misunderstanding. Any offense was intended toward a tyrannical government, NOT the good citizens of Canada.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada

LOL Ah ok, I thought you were saying that Canadians were ignorant :D Sorry about my reply.

I thought there was a better explanation than that. But I am still asking my self, why is it ok for all reptiles but not tortoises and turtles, I guess we will never know.
Pet stores and breeders here (there are not a lot) know that and tortoises here are expensive. Per exemple, I have paid 400$ + taxes for Hermy.

mike1011

5 Year Member

I crossed the border last Sept. to visit the Falls, didnt bring any torts but did bring three kids infected with God only knows! We visited Marine World, its a zoo/amusement park and a great place for the family. Only five minutes from the Falls on the Canadian side. Doesnt pertain but thought its worth mentioning.

jackrat

5 Year Member
Hamburg,AR

Are chickens illegal in Canada?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California

Isa said:
LOL Ah ok, I thought you were saying that Canadians were ignorant :D Sorry about my reply.

I thought there was a better explanation than that. But I am still asking my self, why is it ok for all reptiles but not tortoises and turtles, I guess we will never know.
Pet stores and breeders here (there are not a lot) know that and tortoises here are expensive. Per exemple, I have paid 400$ + taxes for Hermy.

Sorry Isa. I'm just extremely frustrated and angry about more and more government interference/intrusion into all of our daily lives. It usually doesn't make any sense, but that doesn't seem to stop them, or motivate any one else to stop them.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada

Tom, I know what you mean...
I always thought it was not allowed because the gvt did not want people to take tortoises from the wild, I always thought it was for protecting the tortoises and turtles! I hope they do know that all reptile can cary the salmonela lol.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
RE: Importation of turtles/tortoises/eggs into Canada is illegal

does canada allow foreign money? It also carries salmonella. Sarcasm is sometimes hard to recognize on a forum, it has happened to me.

montana

5 Year Member

Its like that in North Carolina too

Soon to be in a town near you ....

raac2122

5 Year Member

i live in Canada and i think its stupid..... stupid kids and shove tortoises in there mouths (mom told me that). i want a Russian tortoise so bad. but i cant find a breeder or anything in Canada!

Mean Guy

5 Year Member

Tom said:
Sorry Isa. I'm just extremely frustrated and angry about more and more government interference/intrusion into all of our daily lives. It usually doesn't make any sense, but that doesn't seem to stop them, or motivate any one else to stop them.

I agree, which as you probably know, is no different than the oppressive and misinformed laws against Pit Bulls here in many communities in the states. It is just frustrating, but we also have to understand that often times it is the populace that demands laws from their representatives, and the populace does not care if they themselves are informed or not. It is what they think and that is all that matters.

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.

I am with Jackrat on this. What about chickens? Also other birds. Do you have some sort of free range chicken law to keep the salmonilla down. I don't worry much about salmonilla with my torts, but am very careful with my turtle and store bought chicken eggs.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida

Angi said:
I am with Jackrat on this. What about chickens? Also other birds. Do you have some sort of free range chicken law to keep the salmonilla down. I don't worry much about salmonilla with my torts, but am very careful with my turtle and store bought chicken eggs.
I do also.

cross7fu

5 Year Member
I've been wondering this question, and planning to import a couple of turtles to Canada this year. English is not my mother language, I really want to clarify about the import requirements.

"Until a Risk Assessment demonstrates safety, no permits will be issued for turtle and tortoise eggs for personal use or commercial purposes (i.e. pet stores)."

From whom? and where?
Does this mean if my turtle, who lives in another country, does not contain salmonella and any other diseases, and demonstrated to it, I could import it to Canada as a pet?

And as mentioned in the post

"the only way it will be possible is if you live in another Country and have a tortoise or turtle, move in Canada and have the import permit."

Does this mean if I have a non-Canadian passport and import permit from the country where I and the turtle come from, I can legally import my turtle?

I really want to make this clear, any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

cross7fu

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Cross7fu:

Welcome to the forum!!

May we know your name?

It is the Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) that establishes the import requirements for all animals (including domestic pets) entering Canada.

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anim...mphe.shtml

Read more: http://www.tortoiseforum.org/Thread...ses-eggs-into-Canada-is-illegal#ixzz1IwUnJNyj
Hi, thanks for the welcome! you can just call me Cross.
The first link you posted is not working, I guess it is the page about "Importation of Amphibians and Reptiles"?
I have read about it and I think I was reading the wrong section. I was reading about turtle/tortoise eggs which I'm actually looking for import requirements for turtle/tortoise LOL.
So, in order to import a pet turtle to Canada, I need a permit from government of Canada, how about a health certificate and petstore receipt? I'm an emigrant and now I've got my Canadian citizenship, can I still import my turtle from another country?

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
cross7fu said:
I've been wondering this question, and planning to import a couple of turtles to Canada this year. English is not my mother language, I really want to clarify about the import requirements.

"Until a Risk Assessment demonstrates safety, no permits will be issued for turtle and tortoise eggs for personal use or commercial purposes (i.e. pet stores)."

From whom? and where?
Does this mean if my turtle, who lives in another country, does not contain salmonella and any other diseases, and demonstrated to it, I could import it to Canada as a pet?

"the only way it will be possible is if you live in another Country and have a tortoise or turtle, move in Canada and have the import permit."

Does this mean if I have a non-Canadian passport and import permit from the country where I and the turtle come from, I can legally import my turtle?

Hello and Welcome to the forum :)

"the only way it will be possible is if you live in another Country and have a tortoise or turtle, move in Canada and have the import permit"

It means that if you live in another Country (If you are not Canadian) and you are comming to live in Canada, you can ask for the import permit to the Canadian Government. If you are Canadian and you want to import a torotise, you can not. The link does not work on the weekend. But if you try it on Monday morning, it will works.

Since you already live in Canada, I do not think you will be able to import your tortoise or turtle because the vet told me that the pet turtle or toroise must arrived at the duty with its owner. You should give them a call on Monday :)

Good luck and let us know what they say...

cross7fu

5 Year Member
Isa said:
cross7fu said:

From whom? and where?

Hello and Welcome to the forum :)

"the only way it will be possible is if you live in another Country and have a tortoise or turtle, move in Canada and have the import permit"

It means that if you live in another Country (If you are not Canadian) and you are comming to live in Canada, you can ask for the import permit to the Canadian Government. If you are Canadian and you want to import a torotise, you can not. The link does not work on the weekend. But if you try it on Monday morning, it will works.

Since you already live in Canada, I do not think you will be able to import your tortoise or turtle because the vet told me that the pet turtle or toroise must arrived at the duty with its owner. You should give them a call on Monday :)

Good luck and let us know what they say...
Thank you Isa, I just sent an email to CFIA, I'll let you know the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.