Importanece of hides and water bowls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
Okay....I need to know how imperitive it is for our Greek Clavin r=to have hides and a water bowl in his enclosure.

I have tried everything....but I always find him upside down/flipped over.:(

So now he has a failrly plain enclosure (for the past 4 months) papertowel area for feeding and aspen for digging and sleeping.

We soak him twice a week and he seems okay...he has gained 100 grams since we brought him hom 11/1/07 and is now 454 grams.
I have made him paper hides but in trying to climb on them he always crushes them immediately after placing them in the elcosure.

Thank you.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
For hides I use inexpensive plastic storage boxes (with vertical or near vertical sides). You cut opening in one side and you set. These make a nice microclimate. For water dish I use plant saucers about 1.5 times the carapace length of the tort. You may want to put some stones or sticks in this to give him leverage if he flips over.

janiedough

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
South Louisiana
I used a shoebox with one side cut open. Percy can't climb ontop of it or eat it.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I have tried both of those ideas for hides but he still flips himself over trying to get on top.
Maybe the stones would do the trick....do you just scatter them about>
How large should they be?
THANKS!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
How about plants, either real or plastic. Maybe a little plastic vine. Won't do much for humidity, but would for security. Or even a big sorta flat leaf he could crawl under?

Having water in the enclosure is not a have to, as long as you would give frequent soaks or offer him his water bowl when you can watch him, just not leaving it in there all day long.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Great idea for the plants:)

Today we had two taller type shoe boxes cut for hides and watched him like a hawk.
He did great.
Maybe since they have no texture to gain grip and they were so tall he couldn't get his feet up on top to flip over. He liked to go in and out of them for his naps.

I will add a few plastic plants too...
Thank you for all the great ideas:)

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
I think hides are important as naturally tortoises would like to have something to cover them while they're resting or sleeping. I use a log that I bought from regular pet store, and it works just fine. Yes my greeks will climb over it, and sometimes flipped over, but they're always able to flip back on their own after few tries.

For water bowls, as long as you regularly soak them, I don't think it's that imperative.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Thank you everyone.
i think we have found the perfect height hide for Calvin.

it is so funny, we have 2 box hides...i just put one in the cool end and one in the warm end. The first couple days Calvin seemed upset/confused as he appeared to be pushing the hides all about and would wear himself out and nap anywhere he felt the need.

Then I finally rotated the cool side hide to the opposite corner (instead of always putting it back where I had it to begin with).

Now he is happy as a clam. He eats per usual, has not pushed he boxes around anymore etc.

Could he seriously have been altering his environment?
Yes, I think he was.

I love that little guy:)

teneb

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I have a follow-up question: when you soak your greeks, how long do you soak them for? I've noticed mine eyeballing his water dish a fewtimes, acting like he wants to go in, then he moves along and ignores it.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I don't currently have greeks, but I average about a 15 min soak on my torts.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Our greek gets a 20 minute soak once a week.
I usually have to change the water out halfway through as he most always 'relieves' himself in the water...
I have never seen him drink the water...

sushisurf13

10 Year Member!
Huntington Beach, CA
My greeks get a good 10-20 minute soak once or twice a week. I think they hate it, but they always poop ALOT in the water. I have NEVER seen any of my greeks drink. My guys have tons of hiding areas, but they live outside so its kinda easy for them to go whereever they want.

teneb

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I wouldn't mind removing Watson's water dish because it seems like he never uses it other than dumping coco bark into it (which means I get to change it every day). When you soak your tort, how deep is the water? I've read elsewhere that no deeper than their plastron (? their lower shell), but is that standing up or withdrawn?

I soaked W for about 7 minutes tonight and took him out when he started getting a little agitated. I then fed him so I think he forgives me for the bath :D

agiletorts

10 Year Member!
San Jose, CA
teneb said:
I have a follow-up question: when you soak your greeks, how long do you soak them for? I've noticed mine eyeballing his water dish a fewtimes, acting like he wants to go in, then he moves along and ignores it.

I have 3 greeks and neither of them like to be soaked unlike my leopards. Everytime I put my greeks on a soaking bowl they will want to go out after 15-30 seconds. My leopards could stay for minutes and dip their heads in the water for quite a while, especially during a hot day.

I put a 15 inch bowl on the ground and fill it up with water about 1 inch deep. Occassionally I see my greeks go there and drink themselves. Not as often as leopards though.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
My Greeks get a soak about two to three times a week for about 20-30 min. in the Winter time. In the summertime they are outside and I just put the sprinklers on. They come out and enjoy a shower for a short time. They have a couple of plant saucers which when they are in them come up to their chins. they will sit in them especially if it is really hot outside. I have seen my Greeks drink. My male Ajax loves his soaks, my female Echo hates them.
Now my hatchlings get a soak 2-3 times a week. for about 15-20 min. They don't seem to mind being soaked.

Status
Not open for further replies.