impending tortoise house construction--need advice

mylittlecholla

Location (City and/or State)
Fillmore, California
Hi, y'all,

Son-in-law is about to build outdoor tortoise house for our Desert Tortoise. He needs three questions answered before he begins construction.

I know that Tom and others have already answered these questions on their posts. But if my son-in-law could have the answers in a short form, it would be helpful.

Helpful to him--also to me. I'm new to the forum and a pretty slow learner about on-line stuff in general. Tried to find Tom's posts on tortoise houses, but keep fumbling around and not finding them, and then my son in law had to leave. Argh. The young man understands most of what to do, as he's a carpenter, plus he has eyeballed pix of other people's instructions re construction, insulation, etc. of the tort house house.

He's seen Tom's, instructions and pix, but he didn't have time today to wait for me to find the right thread in order to answer his questions.

So here they are:

1. Given a 2x4 box, what should the interior height be?

2. What wattage for the CHE? Only one CHE is needed, right?

3. What is best fixture to attach CHE?

And here's a question from me. Son-in-law wants to use as a thermostat an electronic gizmo that sends a message to one's cell phone if there's a problem with temp. Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks in advance.