I'm VERY Worried!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New York
I'm going away from 11/17-11/23 and I have to leave my baby Sulcatas behind. I'm going to be putting them back into their old sweater box enclosure, and bring them to my parent's house. My father is going to be the one caring for them while I'm gone. My dad's a great guy but I know that he isn't going to provide them with the same amount of detailed care that I provide. I am worried sick about this!!! I have a few questions I'm hoping that you all can answer for me!
1. They probably won't be soaked while I'm gone. How will this effect them?
2. They will probably go from 2-3 feeding/day to 1 maybe 2. Is that enough?
3. Will just keeping a filled water bowl (with daily changes) be enough to keep them hydrated?
4. Their humidity levels will likely drop down below 45% while I'm gone. Will this have any long term adverse effects on them?
5. Can anyone recommend a good pill to keep my anxiety down while I'm away and worrying about them!!!! ARGH!!!
**Thanks in advance***

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
I'm by no means a tortoise expert, but my general knowledge and experience working with herps can tell you this:

1. through 4....They'll be fine. Just think, in their natural environment, they experience droughts and famines on occasion. As long as they're already in good health, one week with sparse feeding and low humidity isn't going to affect them much in the longrun. At worst, they'll probably just very thirsty and pretty hungry when you return! Exactly how young are these sulcatas, BTW?

I would just really stress to your dad to make sure to they have fresh water every day, and to try his best not to forget to feed them.
-----

As for 5., I have no idea! Sorry! (shrugs)

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
I can help you with #5 ;) jk - no illegal talk Anthony!
As for the rest I know how you feel - we left Squirt at home last year while we traveled 5 states away for a week, we left him with someone that doesn't know a thing about him - obviously stressed every minute. Just know it is only a week and they will be okay - and obviously calling every hour on the hour is an option! :p

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
Can't answer most of that as I do not know but I can answer question 5.
Bach rescue remedy! Works a treat :) go get some.

Where you going? Anywhere nice?

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thank you. That sets my mind at ease a bit!

ShiningSnakes said:
I'm by no means a tortoise expert, but my general knowledge and experience working with herps can tell you this:

1. through 4....They'll be fine. Just think, in their natural environment, they experience droughts and famines on occasion. As long as they're already in good health, one week with sparse feeding and low humidity isn't going to affect them much in the longrun. At worst, they'll probably just very thirsty and pretty hungry when you return! Exactly how young are these sulcatas, BTW?

I would just really stress to your dad to make sure to they have fresh water every day, and to try his best not to forget to feed them.
-----

As for 5., I have no idea! Sorry! (shrugs)

Oh geez I don't want anything illegal! Haha! I will be calling him every hour on the hour!

SulcataSquirt said:
I can help you with #5 ;) jk - no illegal talk Anthony!
As for the rest I know how you feel - we left Squirt at home last year while we traveled 5 states away for a week, we left him with someone that doesn't know a thing about him - obviously stressed every minute. Just know it is only a week and they will be okay - and obviously calling every hour on the hour is an option! :p

Beans, I'm going to AZ for a wedding. Leaving next Friday & coming home the day before Thanksgiving. Wanna fly over and torto-sit?

stephiiberrybean said:
Can't answer most of that as I do not know but I can answer question 5.
Bach rescue remedy! Works a treat :) go get some.

Where you going? Anywhere nice?

Oh & I forgot to mention that I'll be leaving my 3 Miniature Dachshunds behind, one of which is VERY preggers AND my maniac cat!!!

Angi

5 Year Member
La Mesa, CA.
Clonazepam and I think they will be fine. Who is taking care of the dog? I would worry about her.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
AnthonyC said:
1. They probably won't be soaked while I'm gone. How will this effect them?

Given that you have a water dish in there that will be cleaned out daily, I don't think you will have any issues. Maybe you could ask your dad to place the tortoises in or near their water dish a couple times a day?

AnthonyC said:
2. They will probably go from 2-3 feeding/day to 1 maybe 2. Is that enough?

Personally, I have never had any issues feeding 1 or 2 times a day. It will only be for about a week, 1 or 2 feedings a day should be more than enough.

AnthonyC said:
3. Will just keeping a filled water bowl (with daily changes) be enough to keep them hydrated?

See 1.

AnthonyC said:
4. Their humidity levels will likely drop down below 45% while I'm gone. Will this have any long term adverse effects on them?

From experience, this will not effect anything at all. I am assuming you are keeping their whole enclosure humid? If so, Maybe have your dad spray them a couple times a day?

AnthonyC said:
5. Can anyone recommend a good pill to keep my anxiety down while I'm away and worrying about them!!!! ARGH!!!
**Thanks in advance***

Sounds like you don't have much to worry about. If they are strong and healthy, it should take a lot more than a week of moderately good husbandry to do any permanent damage.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
If they're well hydrated and fed beforehand a 3-4 day absence of their keeper should be no problem. As long as they're all currently healthy you should have no problem with a few day or week long absence.

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Thank you, EVERYONE! You guys are great!!! :):):):):)

My parents will be taking care of the dogs & the cat as well. I don't worry about the dogs, usually, b/c my parents are fantastic w/them. It's Bella's fragile condition that I'm worried about. They have the # for the vet & the # for a 24hr pet hospital in case there are complications.

Angi said:
Clonazepam and I think they will be fine. Who is taking care of the dog? I would worry about her.

Torty Mom

5 Year Member
Bakersfield, California
The thing I would worry about is not letting them get cold. I am sure your parents will do great, they know how much you love them! I bet they will really enjoy it! 2 new tort lovers in the making! Have a fun and safe trip! Tell your parents to hop on here if they have any questions too!

AnthonyC

5 Year Member
New York
Yeah Mary Anne, b/c they did SUCH a good job with me right--
REDRUM REDRUM!
Did anyone else hear that??? :p;)

Torty Mom said:
The thing I would worry about is not letting them get cold. I am sure your parents will do great, they know how much you love them! I bet they will really enjoy it! 2 new tort lovers in the making! Have a fun and safe trip! Tell your parents to hop on here if they have any questions too!

stephiiberrybean

5 Year Member
Nottingham, U.K
I'm booking my ticket now :) I'll be there to tort, cat and dog sit :)
Might have a problem smuggling Squirt through customs though!

Ooh nice :) well I hope you have a good time. Is it anyone specials wedding?
Where's AZ?

Status
Not open for further replies.