I'm pretty sure everyone has done a thread like this...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyOfTheWord

5 Year Member
So yesterday my best friend decided that I should get my birthday present early and took me to Petsmart to get my Russian. This little guy(?) was kept in a glass case that was only about three times his size and had only 1/4" of substrate.
Overall, he appears to be healthy. Although he is really person-shy. Every time he sees a person, he tucks his head into his shell. (Possibly because he was kept at children's eye level.) He is 5.5" from tip to end of shell. They didn't know his gender, but according to russiantortoise.org I'm pretty sure it's a he.

His enclosure is the rubbermaid one suggested on the Russian Tortoise Care Sheet. For the moment, I am using 100% coco coir as substrate, piled 4" deep. His basking temp is around 95-100 and the coolest daytime areas reach around 70. I have a clay flowerpot turned on it's side for his hide, and a shallow bowl for his "water hole".

So here's my question/problem:
I brought him home around 3:30 yesterday and gave him a quick soak before putting him in his new home. He refused the food I tried to give him (spring mix greens) and just went straight to town burrowing where I placed him. He stayed burrowed all evening, and was quiet except for when he was trying to dig deeper.

Today, I dig him out to give him a bath and try to feed him. He sits in the water for just a minute before trying to take off. He stared for a second at the food I offered but then ran in the other direction.
I ended up putting him near his hide, since he didn't explore his enclosure yet. He proceeded to dig into the substrate in his hide and sit there.

Should I be worried that he hasn't eaten/pooped/moved around much yet? I don't want to stress him out.

IMAG0164.jpgIMAG0162.jpgIMAG0163.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Trista:

He may be wild caught, and if that's the case, he is hard-wired to be hibernating at this time. Be sure his enclosure is as hot as its supposed to be and that you keep the lights on for about 14 hours a day.

You may just have to allow him a 2 week "hibernation" period. Let him go to sleep, keep him cool. Then after a couple weeks pretend its spring time and wake him up to a lighter, warmer habitat.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yes.
Also, in general, they are often very shy when first in a new enclosure, and can take a week or two to warm up, even in Spring or Summer.
If he feels pretty solid/heavy, it won't hurt if he doesn't eat for awhile.
You might continue to soak him daily for about 15", (they are often very dry after being in Pet Stores), and then let him do his thing. Use a smaller opaque plastic tub to soak him so he can't get out. He may not like it, but it is good for him. Water should stay warm, so refresh it, if needed. If he doesn't 'come out of his shell' after a week, then proceed as Yvonne advises, at least he will be more hydrated.
Yvonne, by 'cool', do you mean 60-65F (since it is not really hibernation)?

LadyOfTheWord

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice, it really helped comfort me in knowing he's okay. :)
So good news! When I left for work today, I saw he had unburrowed himself and was looking around (while sitting halfway in his hide.)
And tonight when I got home, I saw that he had eaten all of the leaves I had left for him. He also left a little white poo in one corner of his enclosure.
While his antisocial tendencies will take time, it's comforting to know that he is at least eating.

fbsmith3

5 Year Member
Worcester, MA
Ok, I have no Russian experience, I have read enough to know; this little guy just needs some time to get used to you. Just keep up what you are doing once he associates you with love, warmth and food, he will become less shy and eventually come to you.

Good luck

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Wow, that is good news. You soaked him regularly and that is one of the best things you can do when you get a new tort. He is probably wondering why he got so lucky!

wosman

5 Year Member
when i got mine she didn't eat anything, but i tried several different foods and when i introduced romaine lettuce she devoured that stuff pretty fast. For the first week all she did was hide from people and dig in a corner and as the weeks progressed she hid less and less and started peaking her head out of her shell. now she's quite comfy running around and doing whatever.

Neltharion

10 Year Member!
Northern California
LadyOfTheWord said:
Thanks for the advice, it really helped comfort me in knowing he's okay. :)
So good news! When I left for work today, I saw he had unburrowed himself and was looking around (while sitting halfway in his hide.)
And tonight when I got home, I saw that he had eaten all of the leaves I had left for him. He also left a little white poo in one corner of his enclosure.
While his antisocial tendencies will take time, it's comforting to know that he is at least eating.

One of the things that I noticed, at least for the Petsmarts near me, is that they feed them the processed dry pellet food. Your tort may have simply been refusing the greens until he got hungry, if he had gained a preference for the processed dry food. As for the antisocial tendencies, give him some time to acclimate and he should be fine.

FinnTort

5 Year Member
You got a really pretty Russian there :) My little boy was really anxious and shy at first, but now, after a year, he's the MOST kindest tortoise!! He lets me trim his beak and claws nicely. He hardly huffs when I handle him.

Just handle your Russian with care and calmness, he can't be shy for long! (Remember to bring treats :p they love blueberries...)

Status
Not open for further replies.