I'm not sure my female box turtle is actually a female

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
My box turtle Peanut by all appearances looks to be female. Today while in her water dish however, it looked like she was going to flash. I watched, something started to come out and then went back in and she left the water dish. I don't think she was trying to go potty! So I'm going to keep a close eye on her and see if it happens again. It would, however, explain her bullying behavior I guess towards Crush, the boxie I just adopted out to lismar79.
ETA: not sure why the last pic posted 3 times!

peanut10.12.14.jpg 2Peanut8.5.14.jpg Peanut8.5.14.jpg Peanut8.5.14.jpg Peanut8.5.14.jpg

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
She is a gulf coast/three toed integrade box turtle. As for dimensions, I do not know how wide across she is. Her SCL is at least 6 inches, haven't measured in a while. She weighs about 670 grams. And now I'm back to thinking she is female and was probably just trying to go potty...lol. But I will work on getting a tail shot.

Living Fossil

5 Year Member
Palm Beach
You can determine this by:

A.
Is her belly flat or concave ?

or B.
If she goes up to one of the other male turtles and says, "Hey, what's that?"
Then you know for sure she's a girl.

Last edited:

Lyles

She's a female, and I'm surprised that she looks exactly like my Alexia, who is also a three-toed/gulf coast hybrid.

Up until her mother's batch of eggs I've never seen three-toes with such broad dark borders around the scutes like that.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
She's a female, and I'm surprised that she looks exactly like my Alexia, who is also a three-toed/gulf coast hybrid.

Up until her mother's batch of eggs I've never seen three-toes with such broad dark borders around the scutes like that.
I believe she is female as well.

Is yours huge like her?