I'm new...Looking to start right the first time:)

SREINDEER

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central California
Hi All,

I am a science teacher on the coast of Central California (1.5 hrs south of San Francisco) looking for a dual purpose tort. I want it to live in my classroom part of the time and at my home outside at times too (namely during the summer). We are usda climate zone 9--Temps in the mid to upper 60s most of the year, as low as the 40's some winters as hot as the 80's and 90's a week or two per year.

Redfoots were recommended by a woman I spoke with at "turtlesource.com", but they seem to need high humidity and warmer temps than we get so I was conflicted. Sulcatas I fear will get big right around the age when I cant pick something huge up (I am 31 now). Marginated was also a recommendation. What do you think?

What I'm looking for:
#1 Personable
#2 Able to live outside in my climate during a large part of the year (I live on property and can provide a proper enclosure.
#3 Large (impressive, not HUGE and hard to manage)

Any advice helps. Thanks a lot. I just want to do it right :)

Rue

Canada
Having had a tortoise for only a short period of time (but I've had a host of other pets over the years - and still do) and having had three kids and being involved with school activities etc. for years, I will suggest that a tortoise is not a good choice for a classroom pet. They need rather specific care conditions that may be hard to meet in a classroom setting and are not the type of animal to enjoy the activity level of a classroom.

For example, you'd need a minimum of a 4' X 8' foot enclosure for even the smallest of species. You need UVB lighting - and a MV bulb (recommended) is a bit of a fire hazard, not to mention you wouldn't want a child staring at it and getting an eye injury. It's hard to maintain humidity levels for babies especially, etc.

I think, if you want a turtle/tortoise, your best bet would be something small and more easily housed, like a stinkpot turtle. I also think, because they're kept in an aquarium, they will be 'safer' from the kids (there's a greater degree of separation). But they're adorable, have less minimum space requirements, will be easier to manage heat, light, food. The only drawback, if you consider it a drawback, is that you'll need to do water changes and run a filter. But the kids can aid in this - if no one is worried about salmonella issues (which you'd have with a tortoise too, btw). If salmonella is an issue, then you can clean the enclosure - and the kids won't be exposed, so less of an issue.

I'd stick with easier, more kid-friendly pets. Rats are high on my list. Guinea pigs. Dwarf rabbits. Finches. Budgies. Madasgascar Hissing Cockroaches. All suggestions that might be easier to provide excellent care for and will be happier in the hustle and bustle of a classroom.

SREINDEER

5 Year Member
Central California
Thanks for the reply. I suppose I should have mentioned that I am not at an elementary school. I am at a very advanced secondary school and have space. I house several tarantulas, two species of cockroaches and have an advanced "plant biome". I am informed, just unexperienced. I have done a lot of research I am just hoping to pull from the wealth of knowledge here. Not looking for alternative recommendations, looking for tortoise recommendations. Thanks!

Soaking and caring for a young specimen are part of the plan--I would like to find a variety that can happily live outside (as an adult), at least during the spring, summer, and fall in my location but also be housed in my classroom in a large built turtle table. I live on a very small farm basically (~ half acre of fruit trees and veggie gardens).

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Large and inside do not go well with tortoises. :( Redfoots are nice and you can make conditions more humid. Even with those not sure inside you will have enough room. They can eat some of both your veggies and fruit.

Could you go small and perhaps go Russian? Even a Greek or hermanni.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I agree - large and indoors aren't especially compatible. What kind of space do you have to offer? If you have a room-sized greenhouse environment, you could do a larger species.

If high heat and humidity of a red foot aren't desirable, the Testudo genus may be better suited. Most Testudo species are more manageable in size too.

Biggest question is: how much space do you have to devote to the tortoise enclosure?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

Tortoises are not domesticated animals. They are still hard-wired to wander over great distances in search of food, etc. So when you box them up into a small area, it is very stressful for them. When choosing an indoor habitat container you need to consider the very biggest container you can possibly fit. We are always telling folks here that a tiny Russian tortoise needs a 4'x8' indoor enclosure.

I'm a big fan of outdoor enclosures. I don't believe any tortoise should be kept inside all the time. During inclement weather, or winter, yeah, but far as I'm concerned, the main habitat should be outside.

SREINDEER

5 Year Member
Central California
To focus discussion:
1. I have read all of the beginner mistakes many times.
2. My goal is to select a species that can live safely outside in my temperate climate as an adult but in my classroom when it is a baby.
3. I am a trained biologist--I understand that these are not domesticated animals.
4. I know that more space is always best.
5. I have read hours and hours worth of care sheets and find them contradictory and not altogether helpful.

By large I mean the 8+ inch size range, but less than 16-18 inches adult size...noticeable in size but not difficult to manage due to size. This may be a different definition than most people mean by "large"--sorry.

I can build up to a 4-10 foot structure in class, much larger at home. I just don't want to select a species that will struggle with my climate when it is outside. Redfoots seem great but if it would be difficult due to temp or humidity outdoors, I'd rather select a different species. Testudos include the marginated, would a marginated be better suited than a redfoot for my cooler climate--I am basically trying to figure it out between those two--or if anybody has a better recommendation. Thanks again.

Last edited:

ShellyTheTortoise71

Welcome. I would go with the marginated tortoise. They better fit your criteria. Plus, in my opinion, they would be easier to keep in a classroom environment. Redfoots prefer hot, humid, environments. That may be hard if they are housed outdoors in a non tropical area. Marginated prefer a dryer enclosure. This would be much easier for you. Along with everyone else, I don't think a tortoise is a good choice for a classroom of any kind. However, it is your decision. Good luck with your search.

Last edited:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There is another problem with classroom tortoises - vacations and weekends.

Tortoises handle change badly. They can take weeks to adapt to new surroundings. They don't travel well.

What will happen in vacations and at weekends?

Moving the tortoise between an enclosure in school and an enclosure in somebody's home every weekend and vacation will put a lot of stress on the it.

Leaving it in school unattended for two days a week raises the problem of what happens when (not if - it definitely will happen) it flips.

You cannot send it home with a random child from a class to care for each time the school closes. Presumably you wish to go on vacation and stay elsewhere? Who will care for it when you're not home?