I'm new and just need a answeri

NotReptarded

Hello,

I'm buying 3 ivory sulcata tortoises from a dude in California. 2 of them have extra scutes which I'm perfectly fine with, but he is selling for 50 dollars less. The third one has "Perfect Scutes". I'm concerned with the one with no extra scutes shell it looks very dry and there are kind of like cracks but they don't go all the way through the shell. Like the indentions or pattern on our palm. The other 2 however are just as smooth as can be. Should I be worried about the one with no extra scutes or is it a simple thing to fix? I know a lot about lizards and snakes not turtles and tortoises you guys are the experts please answer.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
You will get a more informed reply if you can show detailed pictures.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California

NotReptarded

I haven't gotten any really detailed pics from the dude it's always the three of them not all separately and I live in va too XD the only bad thing about it in va is I will have to bring my sulcatas in my garage in the cold times it's always like 50 above the outside temperature outside XD which will be horrible cleaning up after them on the floor. I will ask for more pics of them separately though thanks Will.

NotReptarded

I asked the dude to take him out of the group if he is in a group and to rinse him daily until I get him next Friday I hope it can save him thank you for telling me this Tom and Southampton county Will.

NotReptarded

I should have joined these forums years ago I could've asked any question and a friendly person that has a lot of experience answers and not in a mean tone like " WOW WHAT A NOOB THIS IS LEVEL ONE OF OWNING A TORTOISE IM NOT SUPRISED YOU DIDNT KNOW NOOB!" The people here just tell you what you need to know and try to be as friendly as possible and has anyone had experience with pancake tortoises if it works out with these sulcatas that's the next tortoise I'm getting and more importantly can someone give me tips on owning sulcatas because the two with extra scutes are in perfect condition it's just the one with no extra scutes I'm worried about thanks guys.

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
hello from bonnie scotland! your spot on, the people hear are pros, the have a welth of knowledge and experience and will help advise and answer any questions or concerns you have. TFO rocks.

welcome to the forum and keep on tortin' :)

NotReptarded

I'm glad there's a forum that you can talk and ask questions without being criticized for not knowing something when you just wanna get in the habit like the expert and become like them or at least learn more than you would when reading a paragraph so many people chime in and talk and reply and it becomes better than a care sheet it is a bunch of people with actual experience not a person who read it off the computer screen they learned this from taking the time to raise many tortoises of there own. I wish I could answer more people's questions but I'm not a tortoise expert I know geckos and snakes not Terrapins, turtles and tortoises but after a year on this site I will have learned probably all there is to know about tortoises from you guys thanks.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
I'm glad there's a forum that you can talk and ask questions without being criticized for not knowing something when you just wanna get in the habit like the expert and become like them or at least learn more than you would when reading a paragraph so many people chime in and talk and reply and it becomes better than a care sheet it is a bunch of people with actual experience not a person who read it off the computer screen they learned this from taking the time to raise many tortoises of there own. I wish I could answer more people's questions but I'm not a tortoise expert I know geckos and snakes not Terrapins, turtles and tortoises but after a year on this site I will have learned probably all there is to know about tortoises from you guys thanks.
Well said, sir!
This site is fun, people generally are all here to learn and no one at all thinks they know everything.
i have learned so much in my short time here and you will to.
You clearly have the right attitude and will enjoy this wonderful place.
You can and will contribute too.

parrotlady

5 Year Member
After a year on this site I doubt you will be an expert, but certainly more knowledgable, after all new scientific information and studies are constantly being done by hobbyists, scientists, etc. this site usually has new information available to members on a regular basis.

NotReptarded

The four people that replied to me between my last message and this one are great example of the positive attitude that you get on this site everyone is nice and attitude spreads so they make me feel good knowing that there are nice people in the world and everyone isn't against you thanks Yvonne G, parrotlady, Speedy-1, Tidgy'sDad, johnandjade, willtort2, alaskamike, Grandpa Turtle144 and Tom for replying on this thread you guys are all very helpful people.

NotReptarded

Tortoises are not just animals that have "No Personalities" they have very distinct personalities like other reptiles not just something that sits there doing nothing, I've heard this so much with all types of reptiles but tortoises probably have the most reconizale. some like to walk around, others sit in the shade a lot, others like to be hand fed, others tuck there heads in when offered food, they are all so different after you get them even if they are identical you should be able to tell which is which from its personality. The only animal without personality might be a fish and my red beta Alfredo comes to my finger if I touch his tank others don't so most animals have personalities but tortoises are a extreme example of personality in a animal. This is probably why they are such a popular animal in the pet trade popular enough to have a whole forum made after them with many awesome people in the tortoist hobby on in.