I'm mortified!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oklahoma
I just got an email from the guy who sold me the Brazilian. He shipped him this afternoon (3:30) from Oregon...he is supposed to be here around 10:30 am tomorrow morning. He told me he put him in a black sock for shipping!!!! :(. I don't know about most people but I sure don't like the sock technique. If he gets turned upside down he won't be able to right himself. Not to mention I've received torts shipped that way before and when they got here they were covered in poo!! I sure hope he gets here earlier than 10:30!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Carolyn, If it makes you feel any better, I have received several torts wrapped tightly in sacks with packing around them. They were not able to flip over with the packaging. So hopefully that is what he did. Hope he gets there safe and sound! Keep us posted.

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
Thanks Dee. He is on the Fed Ex truck for delivery now. I am a real worry wort when it comes to recieving shipped tortoises until they get here. I recieved a few that were wrapped in pillow cases and they were covered in poo, which wasn't a fun job to clean :p. I have had experiences with Fed Ex before that they would just toss a package upside down on the porch with live torts in them! Of course the boxes weren't marked live animals. So I guess my biggest fear is his box getting put upside down during shipping and he being stuck that way during shipping cause he can't right himself!

SULCATACRAZY

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Sunny So Cal, USA
I hope all goes well and he arrives safe & sound at your home quickly! looking forward to the update!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Carolyn, I am lucky enough that my ups man knows I receive live animals and always is careful and always makes sure they are warm! Now I know he does not have them the whole trip but at least I know they are safe for the last leg. Hope to see you post soon!

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Fingers crossed for you and your new Brazilian. Please let us know when he arrives.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you have him yet?? I hope he arrives safe and sound!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
tortania said:
I just got an email from the guy who sold me the Brazilian. He shipped him this afternoon (3:30) from Oregon...he is supposed to be here around 10:30 am tomorrow morning. He told me he put him in a black sock for shipping!!!! :(. I don't know about most people but I sure don't like the sock technique. If he gets turned upside down he won't be able to right himself. Not to mention I've received torts shipped that way before and when they got here they were covered in poo!! I sure hope he gets here earlier than 10:30!

I just shipped a box of babies from my home in Central Calif. to my sister who lives in Oregon. I use DHL. I put the babies in Gladware disposable containers on paper towell with scrunched up paper towell filling the Gladware container. I put the containers on a layer of packing peanuts and filled the rest of the box with packing peanuts.

In checking on the DHL tracking system my package went from Central Calif. south to Riverside, CA (about 4 or 500 miles), then back north to Eugene, Oregon. It was supposed to arrive before 10:30a the following day. When she still hadn't received it by 11a she called them and was told that her city (Corvallis, no airport) doesn't have a "by 10:30a delivery". The package finally arrived at 1:30p and the courier was carrying it upside down. The box was clearly marked "this side up" all around the box, with arrows pointing "up"

I guess you just have to take what you can get! The babies were all fine.

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I got my Brazilian Cherry Head from a breeder on Kingsnake. He was in a sock too. I sat on my porch from 9 o'clock waiting for him. I was so nervous that the package would be left up side down. He came at 11 am. I was surprised to see him in the sock, but he was OK. I know lots of people with Redfoots, but no one I know has a Cherry Head. Please post pictures when you get him.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
terryo said:
I got my Brazilian Cherry Head from a breeder on Kingsnake. He was in a sock too. I sat on my porch from 9 o'clock waiting for him. I was so nervous that the package would be left up side down. He came at 11 am. I was surprised to see him in the sock, but he was OK. I know lots of people with Redfoots, but no one I know has a Cherry Head. Please post pictures when you get him.

Yes you do Terry..
36_2_15.gif

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Marley said:
I don't really know anything about tortoises yet, but that really does not seem like a safe way to send them at all! Poor little guy. Hope he is fine when he gets to his new home! Can't wait to see his picture!

tortania said:

I don't mean great breeders like you, Terry. I mean new "inexperienced" owners ...like me. Most of my friends where i live have boxies.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
terryo said:
Marley said:
I don't really know anything about tortoises yet, but that really does not seem like a safe way to send them at all! Poor little guy. Hope he is fine when he gets to his new home! Can't wait to see his picture!

tortania said:

I don't mean great breeders like you, Terry. I mean new "inexperienced" owners ...like me. Most of my friends where i live have boxies.

And, by the way, I wonder why most people buy Redfoots....(whatever kind ??) and not Cherry Head's (redfoots). At least that is how it seems to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.