I'm curious.... (prices of tortoises)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana, USA
I bought my Hermann's here in the US. I paid $300 to get a gender-guaranteed female, 4 and 1/2 long, so she was probably 3-4 years old. A male would have been $200, but I wanted a female. :)

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
How much would radiated or Burmese stars be in canada? Can't imagine them being less than 5k. Wonder if there are even any of those there?

I've never seen those up here, either advertised locally or anywhere in the country. Not that I can remember anyways. So I'm guessing that yes, they'd be hella expensive!

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
over here russsians are around a £100 hermans a £120, greeks £120, sully's £125 stars about £300 and red foots £150 all approx it vary can vary from place to place. russions seem to be the most common i assume its because they don't need paper work

jskahn

5 Year Member
Wickenburg, AZ
Late 60's. I also remember Radiateds about baseball size available for $250.Small Redfoots, were about $1. an inch. In 1969, I saw, and bought my first Yellowfoots.They were 8" and 9", one was $5., and the other was $6.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I may sound a little ancient, I used to pay $6. to $20. for Indian Stars, $10. for hatchling Leopards, and $30. for adults.All were imported in those days.
$20 for Indian Stars???!?!?!? HOLY DEAL OF THE CENTURY, BATMAN!!!! :p

phebe121

I didnt pay anything for my two leopards expected set up i wish i was alive when torts where 10 bucks i would have had a million lol

VBgecko

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
$20 for Indian Stars???!?!?!? HOLY DEAL OF THE CENTURY, BATMAN!!!! :p

Keep in mind those were 1960's prices. I remember my dad telling me about saving up to buy a tennis racket and it was only $50 (sounds like pennies to us today) but that was A LOT of money back in the day. LOL

I payed around $200 for my RF from Petsmart which I'm sure was astronomically marked up (he was just barely 4"). Besides the initial cost of the animal, the only thing that's expensive to me is the damn UVA/UVB bulb (THANK GOD, I've only had to buy 2 since 2008). It also helps to be a handy person, I build my tort table from scrap wood and vapor lock plastic sheeting I found rooting around in my basement. I'm a really big plant person as well so substrate (sphagnum, eco brick, organic potting soil, wood chips and live plants were also found around the house).

I think it also has has to do with supply and demand. Walk into any big box pet store and you're always going to find a Russian or a Greek, RF's are a little more rare, but they're still common.

I've been thinking of a Burmese Mt. Tort, but I know I'm gonna have to find a breeder and therefore the price is going to be more, but that doesn't really bug me.

In Canada, I'm sure the price has everything to do with your import laws and taxes.

Last edited:

Earth Mama

5 Year Member
Houston, Texas
For my Russians I've paid from $85 to $140. My juvenile Red Foots I paid $100 each for two of them and $50 for the third. Bought the Reds from a breeder friend of mine.