I'm curious.... (prices of tortoises)

Arjun&Yoshi

Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
if you bought your tortoise, I'm wondering 1. How old was he/she and 2. How much did you pay for him/her?

We bought our russian on November 21st as a 6 month old CB, and he was $500. My initial set up plus Yoshi was around $900!! I'm in Canada where you can't import them so I wonder if we pay more??

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Wow! tortoise sure are expensive in Canada. That same Russian tortoise here would have run between $80 and $100.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Holy crap! You could've walked through the woods over to the U.S. and picked up five .

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
My mouth dropped when, I saw the price,until I saw canada. I think 5 bills, is right around the price, nut perhaps some of our canadian members, can comment.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Holy crap, that's a lot of money. Wonder what a leopard goes for, must be like 1500.00. I feel for YA, that's an awful big difference from the United States and I think more then any other country we have on here?

Arjun&Yoshi

Toronto, Canada
We went to an exotic pet expo in September and I think the breeders were selling them for around $1200 or so. The cheapest I saw were the Greeks at $400.

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
Whoa...that's crazy expensive!!! My 1st two Redfoots were about a $150.00 each. They were older, 5 or so when I bought them at a pet store. Even my two younger Redfoots were about the same price I believe.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
I got my Redfoot girl this past week for $200 plus her lighting, and I'm in Canada. The only reason I got her so cheap is because I got her from a girl who wanted to re-home her to a good home, and she knew me from my reptile Facebook group so she lowered the price a lot.
Redfoot hatchlings aren't cheaper than $400 around here, other Tortoises are around the same price, rarer Tortoise like Indian Star Tortoises run upwards of $1100, etc.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
WOW! That's a lot!
I paid 100$ for my russian, absolutely ZERO for all my turtles (besides setups, etc, just to 'obtain' them) and 350 for miss sulcata.
Here, sulcata's are very easy to find, and russians and greeks. It feels like everything else is little rarer, and the price goes up depending on what it is.

KTyne

5 Year Member
Chilliwack, BC
Russians and Hermans and Greeks are easy to find here, Red Foots are sort of easy to find.
For some reason pets in general are wayyy more expensive in Canada. I'm really in to Parrots as well and they cost like 3 or 4 times as much up here than in the U.S.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
I think I paid 39 bucks for my RT that I have had for 26 years now. Bought him from a local pet shop that has since closed.

what year was this?? lol i got the feel its one of those "i use to pay 10 cent's for a coke" lol i wanna say the 80s?

my redfoot cost me 135 shipped to my door but that's only the price of the tort all the equipment necessary has set me back a pretty penny that's for sure but i'm one to believe if your going to have a pet you'd better take care of it correctly no matter what

leopard777

5 Year Member
land tortoise to me now is consider a exotic pet , considering the price , lol , indian star used to cost 20 usd back then

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
How much would radiated or Burmese stars be in canada? Can't imagine them being less than 5k. Wonder if there are even any of those there?