I'm a new sulcata mom in Texas. Eager to learn what's best for my baby.

Lisa4mk

Location (City and/or State)
Round Rock, Texas
I just adopted a small sulcata reported to be about one year old. I live in Round Rock, Texas just north of Austin, and I am hoping to find other sulcata moms or dads in my area so I can brainstorm what native plants will be good for my baby's enclosure. Right now he is in a 36x24 wooden enclosure box with a hide area and predator proof top. I planted some johnson grass but I want to give him more choices. Thanks for letting me join!

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Welcome!

This will get you started:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to the Forum! It might not be easy with him being outside, to keep his humidity up in the 80's. We like to keep baby sulcatas indoors in a closed enclosure for their first couple years. After that, it's ok for forays outside, building up exposure bit by bit, but back inside at night.

Your new tortoise isn't a hatchling, but please read our care sheet that was linked in the above post anyway:

Lisa4mk

Round Rock, Texas
Welcome!

This will get you started:
Thank you! I was reading this just as you responded. Wow! Great info! It's been raining here for weeks so I'm sure my humidity is good. Glad to know wet is good ;) I feel like my baby is small for being a year old so I'm anxious to get up to speed on properly caring for him.

Lisa4mk

Round Rock, Texas
Welcome to the Forum! It might not be easy with him being outside, to keep his humidity up in the 80's. We like to keep baby sulcatas indoors in a closed enclosure for their first couple years. After that, it's ok for forays outside, building up exposure bit by bit, but back inside at night.

Your new tortoise isn't a hatchling, but please read our care sheet that was linked in the above post anyway:
Thank you! Just finished reading it. Great detailed info! Been raining here for weeks but I'm checking humidity now. Other than humidity is there any reason he shouldn't be outside? Thanks for your response.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Our general rule of thumb for babies being outside is this: 1 hour of access to sun per inch of tortoise. So if your little one is 4 inches long, he can be out for 4 hours daily.

You asked for another reason other than humidity. One of our very experienced members has done side-by-side experiments with sibling hatchlings. One group raised indoors in a closed chamber, and the other group raised outdoors. Each time he has done this, the group raised indoors just did much better than the others. I'll tag him so he can tell you what the differences were.
@Tom

Mandysaur

Austin, Texas
I just adopted a small sulcata reported to be about one year old. I live in Round Rock, Texas just north of Austin, and I am hoping to find other sulcata moms or dads in my area so I can brainstorm what native plants will be good for my baby's enclosure. Right now he is in a 36x24 wooden enclosure box with a hide area and predator proof top. I planted some johnson grass but I want to give him more choices. Thanks for letting me join!
Hey neighbor! I am always foraging plants for my guy. I have some cactus pads that are ready for planting right now that I can share! [email protected]