I'm a New Russian T - Mom any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
50/50....bed-a-beast, soil, ect.., mixed with an equal amount of the play sand. Mixture should be damp, but no water dripping if you hold some in your hand.

chilieo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Delaware
Jacqui said:
50/50....bed-a-beast, soil, ect.., mixed with an equal amount of the play sand. Mixture should be damp, but no water dripping if you hold some in your hand.

And having this moisture does not/will not cause shell rot? ? ?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Are you planning on letting him also sit in an unsanitary pen (especially sitting in urine)? Perhaps not let him have the proper diet, so he can get MBD (metabolic bone disease)? I really doubt you will. Actually those two are the most common reason torts seem to get shell rot. It's not so much about the humidity level. Besides under the heat lamp, your going to be surprised how quickly the top of the substrate dries out.

A healthy animal, kept in sanitary conditions, is very unlikely to get shell rot if it didn't come with it shell rot when you bought her..

chilieo

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Delaware
Jacqui said:
Are you planning on letting him also sit in an unsanitary pen (especially sitting in urine)? Perhaps not let him have the proper diet, so he can get MBD (metabolic bone disease)? I really doubt you will. Actually those two are the most common reason torts seem to get shell rot. It's not so much about the humidity level. Besides under the heat lamp, your going to be surprised how quickly the top of the substrate dries out.

A healthy animal, kept in sanitary conditions, is very unlikely to get shell rot if it didn't come with it shell rot when you bought her..

Ok, thanks - i was wondering about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.