I'm a concerned new mother, who needs help.

PotatoTheLeo

Location (City and/or State)
Pittsburgh, PA
I recently got a well-started hatchling Leopard tortoise, Potato, and it has been around 4 days since I got her. She has been hiding a lot and hasn't been eating. or at least that I've noticed. Should I be concerned that she hasn't been eating? Also, I soaked her this morning and I haven't seen her poop, is this also concerning?
The humidity has been around 20-30% sometimes reaching 50% at night because I cover one side. The temp. usually stays between 75-85. For substrate, I use orchid bark and use sphagnum moss. When I give her food, I give her Natural Grassland Tortoise Food, and for grasses today, I got her normal grass and clover (she hasn't touched it)

Thank you.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Get your ambient temps northward of 80 degrees, and your humidity at least 80% or higher. What you have is way too dry. It's normal for new arrivals to be reclusive for a period of time. Just keep up with the soaks, temp, and humidity and it'll come around soon enough.

PotatoTheLeo

Pittsburgh, PA
Get your ambient temps northward of 80 degrees, and your humidity at least 80% or higher. What you have is way too dry. It's normal for new arrivals to be reclusive for a period of time. Just keep up with the soaks, temp, and humidity and it'll come around soon enough.
Okay, thank you. I'll put her in a bigger/taller box to try to help with humidity and hopefully help with temp. too. if this doesn't help should I look into a fogger?

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Okay, thank you. I'll put her in a bigger/taller box to try to help with humidity and hopefully help with temp. too. if this doesn't help should I look into a fogger?

My indoor enclosure is 32 sq. ft. and I use a reptifogger. Depending on the dimensions of your enclosure, you may or may not need one. Sometimes just keeping the substrate damp and occasionally misting does the trick. Invest in a digital hygrometer if you don't already have one.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I recently got a well-started hatchling Leopard tortoise, Potato, and it has been around 4 days since I got her. She has been hiding a lot and hasn't been eating. or at least that I've noticed. Should I be concerned that she hasn't been eating? Also, I soaked her this morning and I haven't seen her poop, is this also concerning?
The humidity has been around 20-30% sometimes reaching 50% at night because I cover one side. The temp. usually stays between 75-85. For substrate, I use orchid bark and use sphagnum moss. When I give her food, I give her Natural Grassland Tortoise Food, and for grasses today, I got her normal grass and clover (she hasn't touched it)

Thank you.

What size and age is your tortoise? Where did you get it?

Temps are too cold, wrong food for a leopard (they aren't grass eaters), humidity is way too low, sphagnum moss will either cause impaction or shell rot depending on the type. You can get them eating the ZooMed food in time, and this is a good way to amend grocery store greens and make them better, but if the tortoise hasn't been eating this previously, you'll have to spend some time introducing it. I don't like foggers over any species, especially when temps are too cold and the top is open. A better solution is to buy or make a closed chamber so your warm humid air isn't escaping into the room.

That is the blunt version. Read these and come back with all your questions:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Sulcatas are grass eaters, so skip the text and scroll down to the list of good foods:
https://tortoiseforum.org/threads/for-those-who-have-a-young-sulcata.76744/

PotatoTheLeo

Pittsburgh, PA
I got my tortoise at tortoise town. and I don't know its exact age, but whatever a well started haltching is. Is what I have, she's very small like a half dollar coin, maybe. I went to the store and got some different kinds of produce, and I got a taller and bigger box with a lid/towel. When spring comes she will get all of the Dandlions and Plaintains, I believe they can eat that. But Thank you again.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
A towel won't keep in the moisture. You're going to need a large plastic bin either with the bin's lid or a piece of plexi-glass for a lid. These babies hatch out during the monsoon season. This means they hatch into a wet, hot world with lots of greenery to eat. The moisture helps them to grow smooth shells. This is new-to-us stuff. Most of us have kept baby tortoises in hot, dry enclosures, under hot, desiccating lights, and that's why there are so many bumpy sulcatas and leopards around today. But now we know better.

Sidotis6

Temecula
Your temperature is too low. They need basking around 90+ you don’t need to go crazy with some of these suggestions. They are pretty easy to care for. They need the appropriate heat, cooling area, UVB lighting and the right food, mixed greens and when they get bigger Mazuri tortoise food and vitamin supplements.