If You Own A Box Turtle...

GingerLove

5 Year Member
View attachment 197915 View attachment 197916 These are my box turtles. The top one is Peanut, a 3 toed/gulf coast integrade. On bottom is Mr. Pebbles, a 3 toed. Box turtles are my absolute favorite. Mine are very outgoing and friendly. If i had to choose only one species, I'd choose them over any tortoise. They are so much fun.

They are both adorable!!! So when you say friendly and outgoing, does that just mean curious and they don't mind being pet? I just want to be able to pet one and actually have it enjoy it! :) So how many different types of three-toed box turtles are there, because Mr. Pebbles looks almost like an ornate!! Very pretty shell!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
actually, they do enjoy swimming. And they should have access to water so they can soak. This is Wolowitz and Bernadette, bith are 3-toeds. i like the three-toeds bc they are smaller than other types. all boxies need a LOT of room.
turtswimout_zpsbehg0wrf.jpg
How big will these two get? They both look like they are having fun! Do they need as much room as a tortoise, or even more?

ᖇIᑕᕼY

Hey all, if you own a box turtle, I have a few questions for you.
First, can you post a pic of your boxie?
Second, why did you choose a box turtle?
Third, are they very friendly?
Fourth, would housing and feeding be about the same for a tortoise?
I'm curious about getting one in the future. I will probably look up practical stuff later, but for now, I really just want to know why you love your boxies and if they are more sociable than tortoises! :)
(Not to mention I just love seeing pictures of turtles and tortoises).

ᕼEᖇᔕ ᗰY ᗷO᙭IE, I ᖇEᑕᑕOᗰEᗰᗪ ᗷO᙭ TᑌᖇTᒪEᔕ ᗷEᑕᗩᑌᔕE TᕼEY ᔕTᗩY ᔕᗰᗩᒪᒪ ᗩᑎᗪ ᒪIᐯE ᖴOᖇ 40 50 YEᗩᖇᔕ ᗩᑎᗪ TᕼE OᑎᒪY ᗪIᖴᖴEᖇEᑎᑕE ᗩᗷOᑌT TOᖇTOIᔕEᔕ Iᔕ TᕼEY EᗩT ᔕᑌᑭEᖇ ᗯOᖇᗰᔕ ᑌᑎᒪIKE ᗰY ᔕᑌᒪᑕᗩTᗩ, TᕼEY ᕼᗩᐯE ᕼᑌGE ᑭEᖇᔕOᑎᗩᒪITYᔕ ᗩᑎᗪ ᗰᗩKE GᖇEᗩT ᑭETᔕ, ᑭᔕ. ᕼOᗯ ᗪO YOᑌ ᑭOᔕT ᗩ ᖴOᖇᑌᗰ

IMG_0034.JPG

GingerLove

5 Year Member
ᕼEᖇᔕ ᗰY ᗷO᙭IE, I ᖇEᑕᑕOᗰEᗰᗪ ᗷO᙭ TᑌᖇTᒪEᔕ ᗷEᑕᗩᑌᔕE TᕼEY ᔕTᗩY ᔕᗰᗩᒪᒪ ᗩᑎᗪ ᒪIᐯE ᖴOᖇ 40 50 YEᗩᖇᔕ ᗩᑎᗪ TᕼE OᑎᒪY ᗪIᖴᖴEᖇEᑎᑕE ᗩᗷOᑌT TOᖇTOIᔕEᔕ Iᔕ TᕼEY EᗩT ᔕᑌᑭEᖇ ᗯOᖇᗰᔕ ᑌᑎᒪIKE ᗰY ᔕᑌᒪᑕᗩTᗩ, TᕼEY ᕼᗩᐯE ᕼᑌGE ᑭEᖇᔕOᑎᗩᒪITYᔕ ᗩᑎᗪ ᗰᗩKE GᖇEᗩT ᑭETᔕ, ᑭᔕ. ᕼOᗯ ᗪO YOᑌ ᑭOᔕT ᗩ ᖴOᖇᑌᗰ

So pretty!!! Great reasons! And in order to start a thread, you choose a section (like off topic chit-chat or maybe general tortoise discussion) and at the top there should be a button on the upper left that says POST NEW THREAD. Hit the button and start your thread and you should be all set. Oh, and welcome to the forum!!!!

GingerLove

5 Year Member
And do they have to eat worms? :p Or do they just like it as a treat or something?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Animal protein is one of the main stays in a baby box turtle's diet. As they get older, they will eat less animal protein and more vegetation.

ColleenT

Lehigh Valley Pa
earthworms are better for them than mealworms. fruit and veggies are good for them, if you can convince them to eat them. i chop things very small and mix some protein( like scrambled eggs) in with the fruit and veggies. My 3-toed box turtles are as big as they will ever get. all box turtles need a alot of square footage. in the wild they roam pretty far.

this is my outdoor pen.
turtpenjuly2016_zps3b0zgkjr.jpg

Eric Phillips

5 Year Member
Ohio
Wow! So cute! Is this an ornate?
1024px-Florida_Box_Turtle_Digon3.jpg

This one I bet is a Florida Box Turtle, very similar shell markings but the yellow stripes on the side of head has me thinking FBT. Either way, kudos to you for taking the time to learn more on box turtles before getting one. I don't have a favorite, I'd have every species if my wife allowed me to have access to the check book!

Big Ol Tortoise

pflugerville Tx
How long do they live? Looks like a sweetheart! So they like they're soakings. :)
Yep. MrsTurtle soaks quite often. It really depends on the type of care they're given. They can live anywhere from 50 years all the way to 100 possibly. She's starting to get used to when I wake up cause now she sits next to her food bowl and looks at me wanting food.