If you Lo-o-o-ove your tortoise:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
This morning I read a post by @Tom and I wanted to post pictures of a well Lo-o-o-oved tortoise, and darned if I can find his post. So I had to start my own thread. A couple of the members were making fun of the difference between a lo-o-o-oved tortoise and a loved tortoise. I have pictures!!!

This tortoise is a mature, egg laying female leopard tortoise, sitting beside Chasen, a three year old I'm fostering for one of our members here. She was turned in to my turtle rescue the first part of this year and she was Lo-o-o-oved:

bumpy tortoise a.jpgbumpy tortoise b.jpgbumpy tortoise c.jpg

S2G

AL
I really don't know what to say. I guess I lucked out & found this forum so the proper conditions were presented front & center. However, theres so much regurgitated dogma out there I understand why these things occur. You combine terrible info with today's weird project anthropomorphism on everything & it's just a recipe for disaster. It took me a week to realize the tort table was a terrible idea & why the heck is it recommended so much....and that's for a hermann's!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
I guess I don't get it.
The smooth one was loooooved just because its smooth?
Mine aren't smooth, as I found the correct info too late, but my two Male leopards are looooved so much, I would never give them up to fostering.
Maybe she means it was loooooved because she raised it smooth and it was cared for super well?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I guess I don't get it.
The smooth one was loooooved just because its smooth?
Mine aren't smooth, as I found the correct info too late, but my two Male leopards are looooved so much, I would never give them up to fostering.
No, the owner of the bumpy one Lo-o-oved her tortoise. You, my friend, love your tortoises. The bumpy one was given up, with many, many tears, because she could no longer take care of it.

I guess you had to read Tom's post to 'get it.' The differen ce between Lo-o-oved and Loved.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Looooooooove is because it is your own. Love is because you really like the tortoise but it isn't yours. I love a certain "Russian tortoise" that I rescued and couldn't keep. However I looooooove my 3 tortoises I own. This is my opinion only. My daughter loves Mary Knobbins... but loooooves Miss.Dexter Persimmons, her tortoise we rescued and kept. I don't think looks matter, she helps special needs tortoises and turtles.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No, the owner of the bumpy one Lo-o-oved her tortoise. You, my friend, love your tortoises. The bumpy one was given up, with many, many tears, because she could no longer take care of it.

I guess you had to read Tom's post to 'get it.' The differen ce between Lo-o-oved and Loved.
What thread is it in do you remember?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
No I loooove my leopards. My russian I love.
I dont think looks has anything to do with it either. As for crying over an animal. Many a tears have fallen over a fish to a horse and all in between.
I personally think more people looove at least one of their animals and love the rest. If not, why have them!

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I think S2G gets it. Hard to explain. I am inferring those who lo-o-ve their tortoises can be completely blinded to the fact the animal is suffering, especially if the owner’s emotional need takes priority.

That leopard sure had MBD something bad. I hope there’s no long term organ damage involved.

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
I think S2G gets it. Hard to explain. I am inferring those who lo-o-ve their tortoises can be completely blinded to the fact the animal is suffering, especially if the owner’s emotional need takes priority.

That leopard sure had MBD something bad. I hope there’s no long term organ damage involved.
I think thats bs. People can love their tortoise and not know that their “ emotionally needs” are causing suffering. Torts dont always show signs of suffering right away. And not everybody knows about the experts of TFO

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I think thats bs. People can love their tortoise and not know that their “ emotionally needs” are causing suffering. Torts dont always show signs of suffering right away. And not everybody knows about the experts of TFO
Too true. That's what I've always been terrified of. It takes a long time to show bad care in a tortoise. I want to know the best way in the first place and couldn't find it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Exactly what I thought Tom was trying to imply in the post I couldn 't find!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We were trying to show a difference between Lo -o-ove and Love. It loses a lot in the translation.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
It seems to me that if you love your tortoise, you give it the best environment, food, an enriched enclosure, plenty of space, respect, and if needed, good medical care.

If you looove your tortoise, you THINK you are giving it the best, but don't even really know what that is, and aren't willing to find out. You are someone who literally "looooves their tortoise to death"!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It seems to me that if you love your tortoise, you give it the best environment, food, an enriched enclosure, plenty of space, respect, and if needed, good medical care.

If you looove your tortoise, you THINK you are giving it the best, but don't even really know what that is, and aren't willing to find out. You are someone who literally "looooves their tortoise to death"!
EXACTLY!!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA

However, before this forum or the internet, people didn't have the resources to tell them the right way. Even vets don't know. Before I joined this forum, I thought tortoises were suppose to be "bumpy" as those are the majority of pics that come up.
Even today, people are still giving and getting wrong info until they find tfo.
So the looooved torts owner may have done all the research they possibly could, thought they were doing everything right and the result was everything wrong.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
So the looooved torts owner may have done all the research they possibly could, thought they were doing everything right and the result was everything wrong.
You are correct. The keeper described here I would say loves the tortoise. S(he) has done everything they can to become educated, and was given rotten advice from someone who should have been trustworthy. Love.

I suppose loooove has to include an attitude of "I've made up my mind...don't confuse me with facts".

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Even I understand without reading Tom's post. The looooved torts owner brings it to me because of some "tragedy" that happened and they hate to give up the tort but this tragedy cost them...the animal is deformed, dry and does not look well, but the demonstrated tears are supposed to make me understand how awful they feel to give up this tortoise whom they looooved but did not care for correctly...

Altho her history was not really known...this was Mary Knobbins then...that's her by my right hand...
IMG_0294.JPG
IMG_0309.JPG
she is very loved and cared for..correctly mostly...
100_5045.JPG

I'm just showing Mary because I use opportunities to show her and talk about abuse and unhealthy looking torts...Mary is healthy and will get her jaw filed on July 1st...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
We were trying to show a difference between Lo -o-ove and Love. It loses a lot in the translation.
It didn't lose anything in translation. It's my biggest fear. It's what my nightmares are about. That I just lo-o-ove my little guy but not giving him what he truely needs. I'm just really glad I found TFO and all of you. It helps me look at what I'm doing and make necessary changes in time for his good health.☺️