If the Gallery Ain't Working

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
+1 for Lightroom, I use it everyday. It has some small limitations that sometimes force me into Photoshop for big jobs (removing elements, adding layers etc) but 95% of my photos are only run through LR

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Well for Heaven's sake I could have sworn that was infrared! That's awesome!
You can easily tell if a photo is near-infrared or not by looking at grass and other foliage. As it reflects NIR, it should turn white, as can be seen on your previous shots of the dunes, for example.

Here's another one by me:
N8E9eWZ.jpg

And this is what it looked like out of the camera, before processing. Shot from a moving car (I was passenger, of course), f/2.8, 1/750s, ISO 100. Short exposure times like that are only possible with a modified camera.

I use Adobe Lightroom as well. Unfortunately, it cannot do that red-blue channel swap by default, but there are workarounds.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
You can easily tell if a photo is near-infrared or not by looking at grass and other foliage. As it reflects NIR, it should turn white, as can be seen on your previous shots of the dunes, for example.

Here's another one by me:
N8E9eWZ.jpg

And this is what it looked like out of the camera, before processing. Shot from a moving car (I was passenger, of course), f/2.8, 1/750s, ISO 100. Short exposure times like that are only possible with a modified camera.

I use Adobe Lightroom as well. Unfortunately, it cannot do that red-blue channel swap by default, but there are workarounds.
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is absolutely beautiful!!!!! You could totally sell that. I LOVE YOUR PICTURES!!! That is my new desktop background. So let me get this straight... you used infrared to take the shot and then processed it through the Lightroom thingy?? How much does it cost to get Lightroom?

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
The latest version of LR is a subscription based service I think, I use LR5 and I picked it up for about $100 I think. I know that Adobe gives good discounts to students so you may want to look into that if you or someone in your household has a student ID. I'm fairly certain you can get a free trial for 30 days.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
The latest version of LR is a subscription based service I think, I use LR5 and I picked it up for about $100 I think. I know that Adobe gives good discounts to students so you may want to look into that if you or someone in your household has a student ID. I'm fairly certain you can get a free trial for 30 days.
Thank you so much!!! I'm looking into it as we speak!

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
Yeah the whole subscription thing is kind of a pain, but it's only $10 a month, gives you both photoshop and lightroom, and you never have to buy a new edition of either. Much better than the old days of coughing up $600 every few years for the latest edition of photoshop.

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Still working with the infrared... I'm trying to figure out how to make it look super cool without spending more money. I have gimp shop and Irfant view but I can't figure out how to get color into the image and make it cool!! I will have to look into it. Gimp shop is acting strange for me.test1.jpg

THBfriend

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
@GingerLove That doesn't look bad! If you want color, you can just tint the image.
tinted.jpg

The pseudo-colors that my NIR camera produces depend on the filter and the white balance (WB) setting - unfortunately, it can't shoot RAW, so I have to pick one WB preset.
Here's a comparison I made (large image). Columns are the different IR filters, rows are the typical "tungsten/incandescent", "fluorescent", and "daylight" WB presets. All photos straight out of the camera without postprocessing. And here's what the scene looked like with a normal camera.

These results probably won't apply to your camera. They show that the "fluorescent" preset is the most neutral looking one, which is why it's my default. They also show that my IR720 and IR760 filters still let quite a bit of visible light pass, which causes some pseudo-color (most noticeable with the blue objects in the scene). The IR850 filter gives a "proper" NIR image, at the cost of longer exposure times, and the IR950 filter is basically useless on this camera (exposure times too long, and looks almost identical to IR850). What filter do you use?

GingerLove

5 Year Member
Whoa!!! Can you photo shop all my images?!!!! That is awesome!!!!!
Tomorrow I shall "interpret" what you asked me, and then I shall give you an answer!! :) (Sorry, I'm just learning to talk camera language)
This is so awesome that you are all giving me such great advice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never thought I would find this on a tortoise forum!!!!

saginawhxc

Saginaw, Michigan, USA
I think it's kind of funny that a gallery thread has become a photography thread.

Here is a random picture I took with my phone, just so I can continue to pretend this is still about tortoises...

Attachments

• 1495458433947.jpg
    1495458433947.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 6

GingerLove

5 Year Member
I think it's kind of funny that a gallery thread has become a photography thread.

Here is a random picture I took with my phone, just so I can continue to pretend this is still about tortoises...
Which is cuter... the kid or the tort? Tough decision! :)