Idk if my tortoise is dead

Jaym

i believe I have an Egyptian box tortoise. Friday evening he was fine but today (Sunday) he appeared dead. He's been outside in a large box with a heat rock just for a week or two since it's been raining. All his limbs are out and his head and his eyes are closed. Can someone please give an insight if it appears he is dead? I have read forums of a tortoise seems dead and to put it in water. The tortoise is about 5 years old.

Last edited:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
CA
I'm not trying to be mean but if your tortoise appears dead it probably is dead but I do have a rule about possibly dead tortoises I never bury one until it's stiff.

Jaym

I'm not trying to be mean but if your tortoise appears dead it probably is dead but I do have a rule about possibly dead tortoises I never bury one until it's stiff.
Thank you

Jaym

did u try to pick ur tortoises
Yes we picked it up. He is unresponsive to any touch. But I read other blogs where tortoises were unresponsive and after a few days to warm up. I just wanted to post my own situation to see if there was any hope. We went out of town Friday night and it could've gotten as cold as 35 degree Fahrenheit

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
That's extremely cold for an Egyptian tortoise to be out and about in. Where in the world do you live?

Waiting until it is 'warm and dead' is wise. There are rare stories of people thinking a tortoise is dead when it was not.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm not saying this to be mean, but just to try to help you understand - if you're not sure what species the animal is, then you haven't been giving it the proper care. Egyptian tortoises need to be kept warm.

Are the tortoise's eyes open? When you touch the eyeball does he blink? Can you post a picture of the animal for us?

Jaym

Thank you everyone but I do not think he will make it. He is starting to get stiff now. I appreciate everyone's input.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Anything new as far as your tort is concerned, @Jaym ? Sincerely hope to hear good news soon.

Good luck!