Identifying species (Thank you!)

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
@Yvonne G Is it a desert tortoise?

I'm not sure but that would be my guess, let's wait for some more experienced people.

Whatever it is, it is pyramiding already so it needs a more humid environment.

Toytlelover

Las vegas
@MichaelL i will definitely make sure he gets humidity as we speak! I appreciate it I just haven’t been able to figure the species out so I’m slowly adjusting him to a better enclosure. I’ve housed snakes and lizards but tortoises I’m new too but I rescued him from his owner who had a tiny little cage and was feeding carrots and iceberg lettuce with no light so I couldn’t let thay happen

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
@MichaelL i will definitely make sure he gets humidity as we speak! I appreciate it I just haven’t been able to figure the species out so I’m slowly adjusting him to a better enclosure. I’ve housed snakes and lizards but tortoises I’m new too but I rescued him from his owner who had a tiny little cage and was feeding carrots and iceberg lettuce with no light so I couldn’t let thay happen
Okay, awesome. Great job listening to advice. Yeah, also great job improving the diet, the old diet would've had him nutrition deprived probably leading to death. One other piece of advice I would recommend is changing the substrate to something like cypress mulch, that way it retains moisture and humidity better, and the tortoise can burrow more easily.

Toytlelover

Las vegas
I appreciate you guys! Went to the store and got him some mulch and a sprayer to hit his cage when it starts to drop. Again I appreciate the help and will definitely be keeping the updates coming

Happytort27

CA
Just in case you haven’t read it yet...

This care sheet is very useful. Please give it a read and make the correct adjustments. If you need some more advice, would you mind posting pictures of your setup? This can be done on another thread.

Toytlelover

Las vegas
@Hamiltondood @MichaelL this is his setup as of rn. The substrate is about 2 inches thick and the bottom is a mix of loose and hard substrate, 2 heat lamps and a uvb/uva , he gets kale and organic grass/hay, fruits for treats and actually only poops in his water so everything stays usually in 1 area LMAO. I regulate his lights but right now all of them are on cause he was just eating and loves to sit under them

Attachments

• 16B87121-017C-46D9-99CA-4CFC0B33D909.jpeg
    16B87121-017C-46D9-99CA-4CFC0B33D909.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18

Toytlelover

Las vegas
Also never went in the log so I moved it and put his food on top for a little exercise cause boi can be eat

Toytlelover

Las vegas
Also as you can see loves to dig where it’s real deep, that hide has the back cut out and is about 4 inches deep so allows him to build a burrow in his hide as well as keeps it up and not falling on top of him from the roof

Hamiltondood

Richmond, Texas
are you using a mvb? if so, get rid of it. most of the uvb that might be coming from it would be blocked because of the screen. the heat also fluctuates so thats not very good.
are you using a coil uvb, also? if you can, get him outside for a couple of hours a week and you won't need a uvb bulb.
coil uvb bulbs tend to burn their eyes and could cause lots of damage.
read the caresheet that HappyTort27 linked.
good luck :)

Toytlelover

Las vegas
@Hamiltondood @MichaelL @Happytort27 @Yvonne G ok so here is a so far update on the new enclosure I had a wide tub sitting around so decided to use that while I build his Long term enclosure, I took out the uvb light and took him outside (Las vegas is hot LOL) and put the lights in there and narrowed them more towards half of the enclosure near his Little Rock he eats and basks on. I’m building him a little hide rightnow but in the mean time using his favorite log and a custom one I used as a lil burrow! ALSO, I added some organic mulch to his bedding to ensure humidity stays in and just right. If I should make adjustments please let me know I wanna make sure my little guy is LIVING GUUUUD

Attachments

• 9ABABADD-5FA0-454B-9D57-EAB0A8A5DDAA.jpeg
    9ABABADD-5FA0-454B-9D57-EAB0A8A5DDAA.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 9

Toytlelover

Las vegas
@Hamiltondood @MichaelL @Happytort27 @Yvonne G ok so here is a so far update on the new enclosure I had a wide tub sitting around so decided to use that while I build his Long term enclosure, I took out the uvb light and took him outside (Las vegas is hot LOL) and put the lights in there and narrowed them more towards half of the enclosure near his Little Rock he eats and basks on. I’m building him a little hide rightnow but in the mean time using his favorite log and a custom one I used as a lil burrow! ALSO, I added some organic mulch to his bedding to ensure humidity stays in and just right. If I should make adjustments please let me know I wanna make sure my little guy is LIVING GUUUUD
I also did remove the screen from the top and didn't add anything on this new one to also ensure he gets all the light needed!