Identify this turtle?

DentonW

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Need help. Had an employee find a turtle and kept if for two weeks and decided they didn’t want it. Brought it to work and nobody wanted it so I brought it home. Need help to know how to house, feed, and take care of this thing to keep it alive. I will post pictures of the enclosure I have and of the turtle. What do I need to be doing differently with it’s habitat and how do I feed this thing to keep it alive?!?

DentonW

Florida
Need help. Had an employee find a turtle and kept if for two weeks and decided they didn’t want it. Brought it to work and nobody wanted it so I brought it home. Need help to know how to house, feed, and take care of this thing to keep it alive. I will post pictures of the enclosure I have and of the turtle. What do I need to be doing differently with it’s habitat and how do I feed this thing to keep it alive?!?

zovick

10 Year Member!
Not 100% sure it's a Florida Box Turtle from the pictures. Let's see what others think. What part of FL are you in? Could it possibly be a Gulf Coast Box Turtle? Why are you sure it's a Box Turtle?

DentonW

Florida
Not 100% sure it's a Florida Box Turtle from the pictures. Let's see what others think. What part of FL are you in? Could it possibly be a Gulf Coast Box Turtle? Why are you sure it's a Box Turtle?
It’s shell is more domed than flattened like a slider would be. It can also pull itself inside it’s shell almost completely.

DentonW

Florida
Has it eaten?
If it's a box turtle, he'll want an earthworm or a few mealworms.
I’ve put romaine lettuce in with it but never saw it eat any. I’ve put live crickets (and a few dead ones) and live meal worms and wax worms in with it. Finally, last night I saw it attack a wax worm and worked on it for a good 20 minutes. Never swallowed it whole or anything though.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I’ve put romaine lettuce in with it but never saw it eat any. I’ve put live crickets (and a few dead ones) and live meal worms and wax worms in with it. Finally, last night I saw it attack a wax worm and worked on it for a good 20 minutes. Never swallowed it whole or anything though.
Try some very small earthworms. Be aware you may need to cut larger earthworms into fairly small pieces so that the turtle can manage to bite and swallow them.

It might eat small bits of strawberries, melons, or tomatoes also.

zovick

10 Year Member!
It’s shell is more domed than flattened like a slider would be. It can also pull itself inside it’s shell almost completely.
OK, and where are you located in FL? Trying to determine if it could be a Gulf Coast Box Turtle.

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Maybe this will help. ?

DentonW

Florida
Try some very small earthworms. Be aware you may need to cut larger earthworms into fairly small pieces so that the turtle can manage to bite and swallow them.

It might eat small bits of strawberries, melons, or tomatoes also.
I put some cut up strawberries and tomatoes in with it this morning. I will try to get you guys some better close-up pictures of it tonight. Maybe somebody can identify the sex as well

zovick

10 Year Member!
New Smyrna Beach. South of Daytone
If it was found in that same area where you are, then it is very likely a FL Box Turtle. The Gulf Coast Box Turtles are found (as the name suggests) on the coastal plain in the FL panhandle area.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
I put some cut up strawberries and tomatoes in with it this morning. I will try to get you guys some better close-up pictures of it tonight. Maybe somebody can identify the sex as well
The sex won't become apparent for several years. Young box turtles all look the same in the private parts.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Many, like I did will assign a sex based off the eye color and other ambiguous traits but it's a nice healthy looking guy and it's apparent that you'll take good care of him!

Kudos'!

jeff