Identify this tortoise?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lusciousdragon

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hi,
I had posted a few days ago asking what kind of tortoise would suit my family best. Thank you to everyone with your suggestions. I was looking on craigslist and came across a lady selling a baby tortoise. She doesn't know what kind it is. She sent me 2 cell phone photos. Could someone identify this tortoise for me? (I hope the photos are in the proper format and size for this forum, if they aren't I do appologize).

IMG954973.jpg

IMG952699.jpg

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
It is either a Greek or a Hermann's, I am not great with IDing Mediterraneans

Either way, it would be a nice pet for you. They won't get huge like a Sulcata and are generally very easy to care for.

Welcome to the forum!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
It is either greek or hermann I often get the 2 confused myself, looks in good shape.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
It is a Greek tortoise :) It looks like either a Syrian greek, Testudo graeca terrestris or a Syrian/Golden greek cross.

Danny

lusciousdragon

5 Year Member
Ohio
Thanks everyone. Such quick replies and everyone is so friendly here.
Is $75 too much for a baby? Or should I try one of the reptile shows? Columbus, OH has a show once a month.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I don't think that is a bad price it is just that hatchlings can be fragile, and through no fault of your own die. but since it is eating and looks pretty good I would say yes if you really want one I don't have any idea what price the would be at the expo.

JohnathanO

5 Year Member
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
If I could get a baby Greek for $75 I would have a nice group of them lol

Here in Toronto babies go for around $350, not sure what they sell for in the States though. Looks like it's in good shape.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
$75 is a very reasonable price. Average price from a breeder usually averages around $90-110. Most vendors at shows ask right in the same range, maybe a bit higher depending upon vendor and location. Pet shop prices are usually considerably more.

lusciousdragon

5 Year Member
Ohio
I am going to go pickup him/her tonight! I don't know if its a male or female. I am so thrilled! I am getting him/her for $50 plus supplies that go along with him. The woman said she is being evicted from her home so she had to get rid of the tortoise and her ferret asap. I assured her I'd take good care of him. My ball pythons are very healthy here so I am sure I can manage this little guy. So be looking for my numerous posts to ask all of the newbie questions. :D

Could someone direct me to the care sheet for Greek tortoises? I can't seem to find it on here. Thanks!

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
egyptiandan said:
It is a Greek tortoise :) It looks like either a Syrian greek, Testudo graeca terrestris or a Syrian/Golden greek cross.

Danny

Correct. In the second pic your tort had large symmetrical markings on top of the head, as well as large scales on the world.
Whereas on the hermann's, they only have small scales on the legs and small scales on the head.

abra

5 Year Member
Mass
Make sure when you get him/her you post pictures :) And you usually can't tell gender for a while I'm pretty sure.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
I bought an adult Greek at the Ohio reptile show and paid $80 for him. I usually go several times a year. I don't think you would have gotten a better deal than your getting. Sometimes I don't even see any greeks there. Good luck with him!

Snapper

5 Year Member
British Columbia
tortoises101 said:
Snapper said:
I paid $300 for mine, but I am in Canada.

Only $300! That's pretty cheap for a golden greek. The cheapest I've seen is $500.

Well Danny said mine was either a syrian or syrian/golden cross. I think he said the same about this one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.