Identify this box turtle please

Lemonade

5 Year Member
My vet would recommend betadine for that wound, diluted with water to the color of tea. It's great for skin wounds, but I think you should see a vet to be sure there isn't something deeper. My vet charges $60 for an office visit. If you have to buy medication, I'm guessing your costs would be around $100. Poor guy needed a rescue--Good for you.

JMM

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Worcester, MA
Betadine is contraindicated for open wounds. This tort needs veterinary care from someone with expertise in torts/reptiles.

Lemonade

5 Year Member
Betadine is contraindicated for open wounds. This tort needs veterinary care from someone with expertise in torts/reptiles.

Are you a medical professional? Where do you find that it is contraindicated?

Hutsie B

5 Year Member
NC
that is a very old turtle. good luck with its care. everyone here has good ideas.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
i think 100$-150$ range by me ..... i'd guess antibiotic injections , fortaz probably , and silver sulfadiazinine cream ...... silver cream is pretty awesome stuff , but it will keep it wet longer ......... next best choice imo is chlorhexadine , which might be a better choice in that it'll let it dry up faster ...... i'd keep it dry most all the time ...... offer him a big saucer of water , all the time, not deep enough for his elbow to get wet .............. it's always possible it'll heal on it's own .... 3 legged box turtles are not uncommon ...... it does look like he got an infection going on already though ....... jmo

Relic

Here
Found this bit about betadine use on open wounds: "Betadine has been shown in some studies to suppress bacterial growth on intact skin; however, Betadine has also been shown in other studies to reduce host defenses and increase bacterial growth in open wounds."

This is in reference to human use. Here is the link: http://www.emdocs.net/betadine-laceration-repairs/

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Are you a medical professional? Where do you find that it is contraindicated?
Sorry, but that's well known in rehab circles. Betadine kills off the white blood cells needed for regrowth. You might use it once to kill off bacteria, but only once. Then I would use a Nolvasan rinse 20 to 1.

RainsOn

5 Year Member
NE OK
Enough with this suspense. Is he gonna make it? Is he eating yet? This old warrior deserves to survive in a good home. Keep us posted.

MyKeyTee

5 Year Member
North East USA
10 day update.
isolated w/ daily neosporin
eating and leg is healing nicely!
Thanks all

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 13

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I took two new Hingebacks to her in Sept. She's really great and they went the extra mile for me. We have another appt on the 14th for two new tortoises and a lower mandible resculpting on another. Is there a chance you might be free to actually meet there?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I took two new Hingebacks to her in Sept. She's really great and they went the extra mile for me. We have another appt on the 14th for two new tortoises and a lower mandible resculpting on another. Is there a chance you might be free to actually meet there?
Yep! What time is your appt? How fun! I'll be there!!! I'll bring Mary Knobbins...we could have a 'party' in the parking lot...

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Yep! What time is your appt? How fun! I'll be there!!! I'll bring Mary Knobbins...we could have a 'party' in the parking lot...

Cool! 2 PM Monday the 14th. Not so sure any tortoise would like a party in our current weather though?.