Identify my tortoises please!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

locado999

5 Year Member
These are my new tortoises. Got them today from a local seller.
I don't know much about them. So please identify its type and what food must be provided? They are starving from morning, I don't know what to feed them. Its urgent please help me friends and experts here!!!!!!!!!!!

Attachments

• tt1.JPG
    tt1.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 106
  • tt2.JPG
    tt2.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 89
  • tt3.JPG
    tt3.JPG
    113.4 KB · Views: 136

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
They look like stars to me. I don't keep stars, but I've read that you can follow the same general guidelines for keeping leopard tortoises, and there's a good leopard tortoise care sheet under the leopard section here on the forum.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Those are indeed stars. Geochelone elegans. These are a grazzing species. Variety of grasses, broad leaf weeds and greens. You can get graze seed mix online. Just do a google search for it. Store bought you can use plantain, collard, mustard, turnip greens, escarole, dandelion, and kale if they will eat it.

mctlong

5 Year Member
SF Valley, SoCal
Agree. They are stars, either Sri Lankin Stars or Indian Stars, but definitely not Burmese Stars.

They are beautiful!

Welcome to the forum. :)

Here's an extensive list of tort-safe foods to get you started:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-5823.html

and although the following diet sheet was designed for sulcatas, the star's dietary needs are very similar to a sulcata's. Following is the diet sheet I use as a guideline for feeding my stars:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-52677.htmll

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
They are sooooo beautiful! Indian Star Tortoises are one of my dream torts! You're very lucky!!! Enjoy!

locado999

5 Year Member
I'm from India. Can any one list out the food items that are available in india?

locado999

5 Year Member
I feel it to be spurred tortoise. Do star tortoises have spur thighs?
what is the difference between spurred tortoise and star tortoise?

tyrs4u

5 Year Member
Portland, OR.
Nice amazing little Stars... must have been a pretty penny =]
Welcome...
Leopard diets work well; I've seen some people add their "red-foot's" fruit diet/schedule as well, so they have a well rounded diet... =]

I'm more Russians/Greeks/Sulcatas/Redfoots/Hindgebacks... SO I could be wrong... :) Follower breeders expertise =] Peace

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Did you feed them yet? I hope they didn't have to wait too long. I'd be frantic if my babies didn't have food and they were hungry. BTW, your babies are just beautiful! Did I say they were BEAUTIFUL!!! Next time you log in, I want to hear they are beautiful and FULL.

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
Owning star tortoises is illegal in India. Unless you can prove they are captivity bred. Please make sure that what you are doing is not illegal. Take good care of them. There is tons of good advice on this forum.

locado999

5 Year Member
Ansh said:
Owning star tortoises is illegal in India. Unless you can prove they are captivity bred. Please make sure that what you are doing is not illegal. Take good care of them. There is tons of good advice on this forum.

what does captivity bred mean?

Ansh

5 Year Member
Cambridge, UK
locado999 said:
what does captivity bred mean?

Captivity bred tortoises are those that are bred in captivity rather than hatchlings caught from the wild (wild caught). Buying tortoises that are caught from the wild encourages poaching of these animals and results in their numbers dwindling in the wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.