Identification?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Found this guy. He doesn't ring a bell for me. Not a cooter or red eared. Definitely old. He has no pattern on his skin front set eyes and very very long nails. Very pronounced gular. Map maybe? He has me boggled.
20130330_134445_zpsdf10db83.jpg

20130330_134456_zps3116ac64.jpg

20130330_1345121_zps625f76f6.jpg

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
Looks like a old male Nelsoni, just dirty? That would be a really big male Graptemys. Where did you find it?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
He was walking accross the back yard. There is a huge lond about 400 feet behind our backyard. Very remote. I can try and clean him up and snap some better pictures if he is still in my fish pond.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
How about a melanistic chicken turtle?

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its possible. Im wondering if maybe this is a natural morph he has no markings just black. Looks like a pacific pond turtle via google images but waaaaayyy out of its range.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
No, male actinemys don't grow those long front claws.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its possible. Im wondering if maybe this is a natural morph he has no markings just black. Looks like a pacific pond turtle via google images but waaaaayyy out of its range.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
NOT a map turtle, nor a Pacific Pond. Old melanistic male Cooter. Old males can get so melanistic that most markings are hard to see. The shape of the turtle is about right for a Cooter, and the cusp in the beak fits for Pseudemys gorzugi. This strong cusp is not present in Deirochelys. It is present in Pseudemys alabamensis, nelsoni, rubriventris, and gorzugi. With your location, gorzugi obviously makes the most sense.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
I am about 10 hours north of the natural range for Pseudemys gorzugi. Hmmm well he obviously didnt stay in the fish pond so cant clean him up to see any possible markings. Cool guy though was very very old specimen.

My identification method of this guy was the setting of his eyes. They are quite big and round and set in more of forward location rather than a side to side like most the cooters or sliders. I dunno. I kinda wish I kept him but didn't have a 200 gallon tank set up.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
tortadise said:
I am about 10 hours north of the natural range for Pseudemys gorzugi. Hmmm well he obviously didnt stay in the fish pond so cant clean him up to see any possible markings. Cool guy though was very very old specimen.

My identification method of this guy was the setting of his eyes. They are quite big and round and set in more of forward location rather than a side to side like most the cooters or sliders. I dunno. I kinda wish I kept him but didn't have a 200 gallon tank set up.

With how common nelsoni and rubriventris are/were in the hobby, one of them could have been released where you are, too. I figure its possible someone snagged a gorzugi hatchling on a "vacation" and eventually released it, too. Definitely looks like a member of the Red-Belly clade, though (which are the 4 species I mentioned above).

Gerards

5 Year Member
Florida
theTurtleRoom said:
tortadise said:

With how common nelsoni and rubriventris are/were in the hobby, one of them could have been released where you are, too. I figure its possible someone snagged a gorzugi hatchling on a "vacation" and eventually released it, too. Definitely looks like a member of the Red-Belly clade, though (which are the 4 species I mentioned above).

The cusp and how common they are kept as pets then released made me think Nelsoni. I have seen several cooters with that, tanin stained?, look to them.

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
That kind of staining is prevalent in turtles living in ponds/lakes with high iron content.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Well there is for sure a bunch of iron in that pond. Half of it is limestone bottom and walls. Theres a lot of iron deposits in the limestone around here. He was a cool little turtle. Wish i cleaned hi up for a better ID. But thank yall for the comments.

Status
Not open for further replies.