Ideas/questions for leopard enclosure

SusannahJoy

Hello all, I'm getting ready to set up my first tortoise enclosure for an adult leopard tortoise. I live in a pine forest in the CO Springs area, and had been planning on using some old logs around here for the walls, but I'm beginning to second guess that idea. I know not to use pine mulch as bedding, but are old logs also dangerous? Also, is it necessary to dig up the entire area (roughly 18x13) to put down a barrier, or can I just dig the walls down a foot or so? I would hate to kill all the clover, dandilion, wild strawberry and succulents that are currently growing there as I've read that those are all good for them to eat. Are plastic trash cans ok to use to make hides with, or will he likely chew through them? In addition to the outdoor area, I've got a shed/old chicken coop (7x13) that I was going to use as an indoor space. Currently it has a tough rubber floor that I was going to cover with coir substrate, does that sound ok? I've got a few weeks to get this set up, and I really want to make sure I do it right, I plan on having this tortoise for the rest of my life, after all. Thanks for any help you can give, I know I have a million questions and appreciate anyone who even read all this! And I promise to post before, during, and finished photos of the enclosure when I'm done!

Jodie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Spokane Valley WA
Leopards don't dig, so no barrier is needed. Outside the logs are fine. I use railroad ties, and just stack them on the ground. They will not chew the hides either. For a night box though, you will need something heated and insulated. Check out Tom's night box threads.

SusannahJoy

Fantastic, that'll turn a week long job into a day job, and save quite a bit of money as well. I'll check out those night box threads, thanks!!