ideas for enclosures?

C.H.D Exotics

Location (City and/or State)
Jasper, AL
I am making a outdoor enclosure for a 1.1 pair of Home's Hingeback Tortoises (Kinixys homeana) and I have a budget of 100$ MAX for the enclosure. All the ideas I came up with was 200$ for the enclosure! Anyone have any ideas for enclosures?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I make use of as many existing 'walls' as are there. For instance, building it next to the house or a fence then you only need three other walls.

Cinderblocks are easy to work with. With hingebacks you may only need to go two high.

Your biggest expense will probably be all the plants you'll need for shade.

Redfool

5 Year Member
Central Florida
If you use cinder block against the side of a house be sure to leave a small gap between them. Don't know where you live but calculate for rain runoff drainage from your roof.

C.H.D Exotics

Jasper, AL
What im thinking of making is using 2x4's for posts, then burrow a 2x10 underground then 2 2x10s above ground, and the pen would be around a 20 ft x 20 ft area then make smaller pens on the inside.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
You don't need 2/10's . Buy a few 4/4 post . Then buy rough cut Corral boards. They're 1/3 the cost of 2/10 . They come in 16 foot boards here . What I do is use a posthole digger and go down about 8 " . Then cut 4/4 post off at 20 " . Stick the post in the holes pack down dirt as hard as I can . Then dig a a trench all the way around about five inches deep . Take rabbit wire and nail it to the post on the outside . Then nail the corral boards on down in the trench . Then backfill . This should keep you from losing too much grass on the inside and keep you under the 100 dollar mark. You can also use 8 foot fence pickets . Just use the pressure treated pine. They're only a dollar a board here in my area.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
This is made with 4/4 post and fence pickets. Not bad and doesn't break the bank .

1506227106502.jpg

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Make sure you have a lip and corners are lipped too, as these guys can climb. Lots of shade and humidity, too.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I have had very bad expirenses making pens out of wire im in alabama and it dont last a year

Okay, I just suggested it because I have had great luck with my welded wire ones. I have about ten and they have been around over 20 years. Lasted longer than my wood ones between rotting and floods. I keep trying and using a variety of wall types here.

C.H.D Exotics

Jasper, AL
Okay, I just suggested it because I have had great luck with my welded wire ones. I have about ten and they have been around over 20 years. Lasted longer than my wood ones between rotting and floods. I keep trying and using a variety of wall types here.
Oh welded wire that lasts forever I though you meant chicken wire!

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I am making a outdoor enclosure for a 1.1 pair of Home's Hingeback Tortoises (Kinixys homeana) and I have a budget of 100$ MAX for the enclosure. All the ideas I came up with was 200$ for the enclosure! Anyone have any ideas for enclosures?
Find used lumber of leftovers at construction site:p.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Mike, it looks like they could dig under your walls. And don't forget about wild animal predators:eek:.
They can't dig under and no Predator problem in my area . This enclosure is inside a fenced in yard inside another enclosure.

C.H.D Exotics

Jasper, AL
I have what im doing designed, but I had to make something strong, we have Bears, Coyotes, Mountain Lions, Neighbors Dogs, Domestic Wild Dogs, Racoons, Fox, Possum, Skunk, Hawk, Eagle, Owl, and many many other predators.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
I have what im doing designed, but I had to make something strong, we have Bears, Coyotes, Mountain Lions, Neighbors Dogs, Domestic Wild Dogs, Racoons, Fox, Possum, Skunk, Hawk, Eagle, Owl, and many many other predators.

:confused: :eek:I would seriously decide to keep them inside. Safe from that they'll never see the light of day.

buglady

Pemba
Maybe you could use blocks of some sort for three walls (using one wall of another structure?) and make a cover over the top from chicken/other wire that you can lift up to get in.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
Wire-Gauge.jpg

Need at least a 12.5 or even a 10 gauge fence for your outer fence. I also recommend an L at the base of the fence almost 1 foot under the ground. The L extends out at least 3 feet to give you dig protection- so when a predator comes up to the visible fence and tries to dig down the are already on top of your L