Ideal lighting for my Speke’s

ColleenMSUMI

Location (City and/or State)
Michigan
Hello!
I just got a new Speke’s Hingeback and am a bit overwhelmed by all the info and different bulb options. Does anyone have a recommendation for the ideal temp and humidity for my hingeback? Is one setup better than the other? Should I do two separate UV and heat bulbs? Keep them both on all day? Turn off both at night (I have a heat mat)? Red bulb better than daylight? And then what ideal humidity should I have it set at? I appreciate any and all suggestions!

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
First up, are you sure it is a Speke's hingeback? Lots of animals are being sold as Speke's that are actually Bell's hingebacks, Kinixys belliana right now. They're being sold as Speke's because these animals were illegally imported into the country, unfortunately. They aren't illegal to sell or own once they've made it into the country.

Have you ever kept a tortoise before?

If you could post a picture of your animal first, then I'll help you with your other questions. Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
First up, are you sure it is a Speke's hingeback? Lots of animals are being sold as Speke's that are actually Bell's hingebacks, Kinixys belliana right now. They're being sold as Speke's because these animals were illegally imported into the country, unfortunately. They aren't illegal to sell or own once they've made it into the country.

Have you ever kept a tortoise before?

If you could post a picture of your animal first, then I'll help you with your other questions. Thanks!

Really? Guess I need to buy some Spekes

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Akron, Ohio
Really? Guess I need to buy some Spekes
Hi Jacqui- The animals coming in now are true Bell's hingebacks. This species has never come in to the U.S. in these types of numbers in my memory, which dates to about 1990. So they're not the same species as your animals (do you still have them?) which are Kinixys nogueyi.