Ideal Grass for Aldabra Enclosure

niraj

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
There is a lot of conflict in views with regard to which grass is ideal to be cultivated for an outdoor Aldabra enclosure. While the Tortoise Turf section on Wikipedia lists two types which are as under:

1) Sporobolus virginicus

2) Sclerodactylon

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sclerodactylon

The rest of the entries are of plants etc.

Contrary to the above, renowned breeder and member of this forum @ALDABRAMAN has on numerous occasions in the forum has suggested a combination of Orchard Grass and Bermuda Grass being cultivated and provided to his Aldabras, both of which do not appear on the Tortoise Turf list cited above. Also, I see some others also have recommended the same along with Timothy grass.

I therefore request experts to throw some light on the ideal grass that should be cultivated inside an Aldabra outdoor enclosure. Also, whether there is a distinction with regard to the grass which is suitable for babies as against adult Aldabras.

Thank you.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The grasses @ALDABRAMAN mention is grass hay. He buys it in bales. Same as the Timothy. As far as actual grass like in a yard, most people with any species is letting them graze on whatever grass and safe weeds is already there.

niraj

5 Year Member
India
The grasses @ALDABRAMAN mention is grass hay. He buys it in bales. Same as the Timothy. As far as actual grass like in a yard, most people with any species is letting them graze on whatever grass and safe weeds is already there.
Thank you for your kind response. You have stated that as far as actual grass like in a yard, most people with any species is letting them graze on whatever grass and safe weeds is already there.

However, my question is when there is no grass and a new enclosure is being built with grass to be cultivated in it, which grass is ideal. Thank you once again.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I get it now, you want/need to plant grass. I will leave that to Aldabraman. Where I live, most people have Kentucky blue grass or a grass mix.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Aldabraman has been raising them for decades whatever advice he gives consider it gospel.