Iceberg lettuce for extra hydration?

Rex1718

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SC
Of course as part of a varied diet, I think iceberg lettuce would be good for a low calorie filler. I rarely see my sulcata drink from his bowl. I do soak him regularly, just looking for new ways to make sure he is hydrated.
Thanks for any input

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I don't see any harm in giving him iceberg lettuce except he may get too fond of it and it's got no nutrition to speak of. So he would fill up on it and not want anything else.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Iceberg can cause diarrhea, which will dehydrate him. As Tammy says there is very little, if any, nutritional value. Occasional pre soaked romaine would probably be a better option.
I rarely see my tort drink but if your tort has a large enough saucer that is safe for him to get in and out of so that he can self soak, and has fresh water provided daily, as well as regular soaks you give him he should be fine.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Thanks for the input! I’ve been reading about bladder stones in sulcatas and got a little paranoid. He has fresh water available at all times and gets soaked 3 or 4 times a week. His diet is mainly grass.
I will try the pre soaked romaine, once or twice a week.
Thanks again

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Does he have a saucer in his enclosure big enough for him to soak himself in?
I warm soak my leopard everyday, it's not really necessary now he's about 10 but t doesn't harm him.

Rex1718

5 Year Member
SC
Does he have a saucer in his enclosure big enough for him to soak himself in?
I warm soak my leopard everyday, it's not really necessary now he's about 10 but t doesn't harm him.
Yeah he has a large saucer, you could fit two of him in there.
I would soak him every day, I don’t get off work until after dark, hate to wake him up for a soak just to put him back in the enclosure. So I soak him on all my off days