I would love input on an outdoor sulcata shelter!

Rocco's family

Location (City and/or State)
California
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone might give some input on an outdoor sulcata house. We adopted ours a while back and have kept him indoors at night and in bad weather, but he is now 33 pounds and has outgrown his tub! It's time to build a home.

I know the house needs to be insulated and have a door that can close, that it should be elevated in case of rain, and that he needs heat and UV light for cold/rainy days (thankfully we don't get many, even in winter). My dad is a carpenter and will build the house. I think it will be around 4 feet high and maybe 4x6 feet. Is this enough space?

I have ordered a pig blanket, but I'm not sure what type of UV lights to buy or the best way to hang them, or what kind of heat lamp to get. I'm a little concerned about fire safety since it will be a wood house- any thoughts on that?

He currently has coconut fiber substrate in his tub, but I was thinking of putting Timothy hay in the outdoor home- is this good, or is there a better bedding?

Is there anything else I'm missing? I want to do the best we can to keep him healthy and happy, and this seems like a good group of people to ask advice from : )
Thanks!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Here ya' go:

Rocco's family

California
Here ya' go:
Thank you so much!! This is super helpful!

2Bamboo

SEBASTOPOL
Hi, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if anyone might give some input on an outdoor sulcata house. We adopted ours a while back and have kept him indoors at night and in bad weather, but he is now 33 pounds and has outgrown his tub! It's time to build a home.

I know the house needs to be insulated and have a door that can close, that it should be elevated in case of rain, and that he needs heat and UV light for cold/rainy days (thankfully we don't get many, even in winter). My dad is a carpenter and will build the house. I think it will be around 4 feet high and maybe 4x6 feet. Is this enough space?

I have ordered a pig blanket, but I'm not sure what type of UV lights to buy or the best way to hang them, or what kind of heat lamp to get. I'm a little concerned about fire safety since it will be a wood house- any thoughts on that?

He currently has coconut fiber substrate in his tub, but I was thinking of putting Timothy hay in the outdoor home- is this good, or is there a better bedding?

Is there anything else I'm missing? I want to do the best we can to keep him healthy and happy, and this seems like a good group of people to ask advice from : )
Thanks!!
Hi. Our 80 pound Sulcata needed a bigger house. I found a builder on Etsy. Mike at BC Fabrications was very receptive to our needs and specifications. The house is fabulous complete with all the wiring for heating and a lift up roof for cleaning. We had ours made with metal siding of which she has already started peeling up so solid wood would probably be best.

Attachments

• 146085474_3931941973506755_6074445938700064625_n.jpg
    146085474_3931941973506755_6074445938700064625_n.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 16

Rocco's family

California
Hi. Our 80 pound Sulcata needed a bigger house. I found a builder on Etsy. Mike at BC Fabrications was very receptive to our needs and specifications. The house is fabulous complete with all the wiring for heating and a lift up roof for cleaning. We had ours made with metal siding of which she has already started peeling up so solid wood would probably be best.
Thank you!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Not to side-track the topic, but what a great smile on that face!!

Welcome to the forum, Rocco & 2Bamboo!!