I worry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monika

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I cant but worry everytime I put my Herman outside. I ran out every 5 minutes to check if she is still in her run. I have read that they can dig themselves out of there runs. Does anyone have any tips for keeping her safe whilst she is out.
Thank you
Monika

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Lots of hiding places. I put rectangular stepping stones (called masonry caps) all along the edges of the fence on the inside. If the tortoise is very small, some sort of lid over the area to keep birds out.

Yvonne

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I dug up the area my torts are in and laid wire mesh too small for them to get threw. Then brought it up to the lip of the bottom of the enclosure. I also put a top on it for airborn preditors. Now I feel safe with them out day or night. took some time to get it ready but peace of mind is a wonderful thing.

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hiya Robyn ~

I was wondering if you can tell me how you were able to cover the top with the wire mesh? I have a 8'x8' enclosure outside that has cement walls that go up about 4".. do you have any ideas on what I can do to put a screened top on the area? Even if I can only give Tortiea portion of the area as a screened in 'romp room', it sure would be nice to have that peace of mind!

Any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated!
Thanx a bunch,
Purpod

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
purpod said:
I was wondering if you can tell me how you were able to cover the top with the wire mesh? I have a 8'x8' enclosure outside that has cement walls that go up about 4".. do you have any ideas on what I can do to put a screened top on the area?

I'm not Robyn, but one way to do it is to make a wooden frame out of light weight boards...2"x2"x8'...or something like that. I think 2x4's would be too heavy... in the same shape as the enclosure. Since it is 8' across, it might be a good idea to also put a board across the middle. Then you just staple the wire to the wood. When you want to get in, raise up one end and prop it open with a broom handle. Or you can do what I did and just lay lattice over the top.

Yvonne

ZippyButter

10 Year Member!
Texas/Cal.
I use an old wooden screen door which is still in good shape for the top of my outside enclosure, look up on Craigslist for people who remodeling their houses, and post these doors for free. Use the dimension of this door, then you build the bottom of the enclosure.

Minh

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Hey, most xllnt ideas, thanx so much, Yvonne & Minh ~ I really appreciate you taking the time to answer ~

Thanx again, :cool:
Purpod

Monika

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you for some great ideas.
Monika

Status
Not open for further replies.