I want to buy a Red Foot tortoise From Southern Reptiles...

YukdaTortoise

Location (City and/or State)
California
I was thinking of buying a Red Foot tortoise from Southern Reptiles but I don't know, and anyone that has bought from them can you please state how you pay for the tortoise how you pick the one you want out and what preparation they, and lastly how long would it take the the tortoise to get from Florida to California

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I was thinking of buying a Red Foot tortoise from Southern Reptiles but I don't know, and anyone that has bought from them can you please state how you pay for the tortoise how you pick the one you want out and what preparation they, and lastly how long would it take the the tortoise to get from Florida to California
@Southernreptiles

zovick

10 Year Member!
Normally you are sent photos of available animals and you pick from the photos. Not all big businesses will do that, though, so you should ask if you can pick out your own baby before you send any money.

As far as shipping goes, most sellers ship via overnight services. IE, the tortoise is shipped one afternoon and you receive it the next day, usually in the morning by 10:30 but sometimes by noon; however, that timing depends on the delivery times to your particular area.

All that being said, you might be able to pick your own baby more readily if you bought from an individual breeder rather than a large business. If Southern Reptiles balks at sending you pix from which to choose your tortoise, you can try to find an individual breeder who should be more accommodating by looking at the Turtle and Tortoise ads on Fauna Classifieds or Kingsnake.com. Links are below:

zovick

10 Year Member!
Here is one which is well established and from a private seller. If you can afford it, this might be a good option: http://market.kingsnake.com/detail.php?cat=50&de=1247750

zovick

10 Year Member!
SOUTHERN REPTILES is very reputable.
I know Ryan personally.
He hatches the vast majority of the tortoises he sells himself
I own 2 of his Redfoot.
@Southernreptiles here on THIS forum.
Also on FACEBOOK
I don't know if he is hatching "the vast majority of animals he sells himself". He may breed some of the animals he sells himself, but he buys and flips tortoises also. Just FYI, here is an ad he has posted on Fauna right now: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728180

YukdaTortoise

California
And I saw a place called LLLreptile, so I thought I've seen that before and I go to look on their website and see that they have Red Foot tortoises and they were out of stock, so can anybody provide me with the prices of a the Red Foot tortoise hatchlings on their website?

BTW: Can you also tell me if you recommend them?

zovick

10 Year Member!
And I saw a place called LLLreptile, so I thought I've seen that before and I go to look on their website and see that they have Red Foot tortoises and they were out of stock, so can anybody provide me with the prices of a the Red Foot tortoise hatchlings on their website?
BTW: Can you also tell me if you recommend them?
Why not just call them and ask? They are located in southern CA and even have a physical store there. Depending upon where in CA you live, you could possibly even go there and pick one up when they are able to get more.

You do realize, though, that they are simply buying babies from breeders and then reselling them at higher prices than you could get if you bought one directly from the breeder, right?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
You don't want to get a tortoise from them. Go with a reputable breeder.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I don't know if he is hatching "the vast majority of animals he sells himself". He may breed some of the animals he sells himself, but he buys and flips tortoises also. Just FYI, here is an ad he has posted on Fauna right now: http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728180
He posts ads on Facebook for tortoises "wanted" also.
I know he has several breeding groups on his property. But you are correct. I can not vouch that every baby sold was hatched by him.
Just that he is constantly hatching RF.

zovick

10 Year Member!
He posts ads on Facebook for tortoises "wanted" also.
I know he has several breeding groups on his property. But you are correct. I can not vouch that every baby sold was hatched by him.
Just that he is constantly hatching RF.
Just wanted to clarify the point that he could not possibly breed all the animals he sells himself, especially when he periodically posts ads looking to buy babies from anyone and anywhere.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Just wanted to clarify the point that he could not possibly breed all the animals he sells himself, especially when he periodically posts ads looking to buy babies from anyone and anywhere.
I feel like I need to point out that it's a claim that has also never been made by him.
I misspoke.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I feel like I need to point out that it's a claim that has also never been made by him.
I misspoke.
So noted. It is not a problem. I just didn't want to see a relative newcomer who is looking for a tortoise be disillusioned.

Southernreptiles

5 Year Member
Boca Raton
Yes I do buy and re sell tortoises. I keep and breed over a dozen species of tortoises, turtles and box turtles. From radiata and spider tortoises to box turtles. I produce a couple hundred a year. I post thousands of videos of all my breeders on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. Along with set ups, digging up eggs, etc. I understand what you are saying, but not sure what your motive is of pointing out that I occasionally buy surplus turtles and tortoises from people? Every well known breeder I know of, and I work with a few dozen, also buys and re sells tortoises to help keep up with the large demand of requests from customers. The statement that I produce the vast majority of the animals I sell is true.

I

Southernreptiles

5 Year Member
Boca Raton
I am not trying to be confrontational. Just clarifying he didn’t state I produce every animal I sell. He stated the vast majority. Which is true. Hence why my website 60% of my listed animals are sold out, cause I don’t buy them all over the place. I put ads looking for surplus but I get about one person a month that wholesales me some tortoises, as most don’t wanna wholesale they wanna retail. Escape especially cause the high demand since covid has left a very little supply of availability.

I do send out pictures to people to pick. I am a one man show. I’m not a big company flipping as many animals as I can.

Last edited:

Southernreptiles

5 Year Member
Boca Raton
I currently keep and breed Redfoots and Cherryheads( multiple locales) Eastern Hermanns, Russians, Elongated, Pancakes, Florida box turtles, Chinese box turtles, diamond had terrapin, leopards, Marginated, radiated, I have probably one of the larger groups in the USA of 9 adult breeder spiders, Yellowfoots, and Indian stars.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I am not trying to be confrontational. Just clarifying he didn’t state I produce every animal I sell. He stated the vast majority. Which is true. Hence why my website 60% of my listed animals are sold out, cause I don’t buy them all over the place. I put ads looking for surplus but I get about one person a month that wholesales me some tortoises, as most don’t wanna wholesale they wanna retail. Escape especially cause the high demand since covid has left a very little supply of availability.

I do send out pictures to people to pick. I am a one man show. I’m not a big company flipping as many animals as I can.
OK, so you breed a number of your own tortoises. Do you voluntarily inform buyers when making a sale that you did not breed a given animal? If the buyer of a given tortoise asked you whether you bred and hatched it yourself or not, what would your answer be? And if it were not bred by you, would you disclose to the buyer the name of the person who did actually breed and hatch it if asked?

I will say that I have never bought any animals from you, but in my experience (65+ years in this hobby ) not one of the above has ever happened in any of my purchases from numerous other people. If the seller did NOT breed the animal in question, it was always discovered by me after the fact by info gleaned from third parties.

Last edited:

Zoeclare

Uk
I follow him on Instagram and he does say if they are surplus babies, I even saw a post today saying so.

zovick

10 Year Member!
I follow him on Instagram and he does say if they are surplus babies, I even saw a post today saying so.
The word "surplus" in no way indicates who bred and hatched the tortoise. It simply means the person selling it doesn't want or need to keep it.

Do the posts say "I bred and hatched this baby" or "I bought this baby from another breeder"? That is what is in question. Saying a baby is surplus indicates neither of those things.