I think Yoshi (RT) is ill? I'M WORRIED

cheerios586

Location (City and/or State)
Graham, Washington
Hi everyone,

I posted recently explaining our situation, after changing everything, heat, soaking, etc. Now she's not eating, at least not yesterday, and the day before I could only get her to eat a few bites of butternut squash which is unusual since that is her favorite. She has been defecating now daily but it's still pretty firm. However, she seems to be sleeping all the time and now won't eat no matter what I offer her. I put some aloe in her food, but she won't eat. I've seen her urinate so I really don't know what else I can do, please help. I'm worried.

Also, I've set up an outside pen for her to get some fresh air, still setting it up so I haven't really put her in it yet.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

Cheryl

20180611_213024.jpg

20180607_130308_001.jpg 20180611_213024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Cheryl:

If she's pooping on a regular basis, then she's either backed up, or she's eating when you're not looking. They don't poop if they don't eat. She'll be much better when she's allowed outside.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
Hi Cheryl:

If she's pooping on a regular basis, then she's either backed up, or she's eating when you're not looking. They don't poop if they don't eat. She'll be much better when she's allowed outside.
Hi,

Thank you for your fast response. I will get her outside ASAP. How long can they usually go without eating? Should I take her to a Vet? I can get her in on Monday is the earliest.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
They can go a couple weeks without eating, but you need to try to get her to eat before that.

On your outdoor habitat, you might think about putting a board (something like a 1x12) all around the outside at the bottom so the tortoise can't see out.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Is there no concern about her level of humidity?

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
The bottom sides are what we're working on now for her and a hidey box. Should have the box completed today and hopefully the sides. She can't fit under the log bridge that I tried to put in there. :-(

It is barely 60 degrees outside, is it too cold to put her out today?

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I would say that's too cold (60F) but I am not an expert at all on Russians!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Sounds like you need a Tortoise Dr. Zhivago!

Last edited:

Bambam1989

East Texas
If I remember correctly you live fairly close to me. Starting about Friday we should have warmer temps, i would give her the weekend and see if she starts eating. If she doesn't eat this weekend I would get an appointment setup Monday morning.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Who is this Dr Zhavago and where can I speak with him/her?
I am so sorry, it was just a joke...Dr. Zhivago is the name of a very old movie set in Russia in wintertime...showing my age to even mention it!

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
If I remember correctly you live fairly close to me. Starting about Friday we should have warmer temps, i would give her the weekend and see if she starts eating. If she doesn't eat this weekend I would get an appointment setup Monday morning.
Hi BamBam,

Yes we are a few miles away is all. I will keep an eye on her and pray she starts feeling better. Since I have you here what plants should I place in her outdoor pen? I'm having a hard time finding any and was researching potted plants from nursery and it said they may have pesticides on them. Would it be better to grow from seed? If so, which type is ok for her and fast growing?

Thanks a bunch!

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
I am so sorry, it was just a joke...Dr. Zhivago is the name of a very old movie set in Russia in wintertime...showing my age to even mention it!
haha Tammy, I'm sorry I didn't get the joke, I don't believe I've ever seen the movie. I do want to thank you for all your advice, I'm only a little over a year into caring for her and the first few months I had her I listened to the pet store which since joining this forum I did wrong, so am nervous when she acts unusual to her normal.

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hi BamBam,

Yes we are a few miles away is all. I will keep an eye on her and pray she starts feeling better. Since I have you here what plants should I place in her outdoor pen? I'm having a hard time finding any and was researching potted plants from nursery and it said they may have pesticides on them. Would it be better to grow from seed? If so, which type is ok for her and fast growing?

Thanks a bunch!
It's hard to find plants from nurseries or garden centers that don't have pesticides. One option is to find plants that are marketed for human consumption. In any garden center this time of year you can find things like zucchini, squash, cucumber, pumpkin, and cantaloupe starts. These will grow fast, and the leaves and flowers are good food. Herbs are another option, cilantro, basil, thyme.
Fast growing seeds like cosmos, evening primrose, nasturtiums, coleus etc.
If you know of anyone close that has established plants and doesn't use poisons that may give you starts from is another option(PM me)
Plan ahead also. If you see a nice perennial while shopping that is tort safe, go ahead and get it, repot it or plant it away from your tort and it will be ready next year.

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
It's hard to find plants from nurseries or garden centers that don't have pesticides. One option is to find plants that are marketed for human consumption. In any garden center this time of year you can find things like zucchini, squash, cucumber, pumpkin, and cantaloupe starts. These will grow fast, and the leaves and flowers are good food. Herbs are another option, cilantro, basil, thyme.
Fast growing seeds like cosmos, evening primrose, nasturtiums, coleus etc.
If you know of anyone close that has established plants and doesn't use poisons that may give you starts from is another option(PM me)
Plan ahead also. If you see a nice perennial while shopping that is tort safe, go ahead and get it, repot it or plant it away from your tort and it will be ready next year.
Thank you, I'm not sure how to PM you. I have trouble navigating this forum. haha Do I go to my inbox or something?

Bambam1989

East Texas
Here is my torts outdoor enclosure. I have added another hide since these pics. I also place a piece of plywood over one section of the top for additional shade. I like to have no less than 1/3 of the enclosure to have shade.
My tort is currently 700g and the area of the enclosure is about 50sqft.IMG_20180605_134843482.jpegIMG_20180605_134928301.jpegIMG_20180605_151226220.jpeg

cheerios586

Graham, Washington
This is some damage I think that I found on Yoshi today, little chips in her shell. Could this be normal for growing?

20180613_110058_001.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: