I think Walter my Russian might have a cold. Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlishaT

5 Year Member
The last few days I noticed that Walter was rubbing his eyes with his "hands." When he has accidentally done a nose dive off his dish and so forth he would do this to get his face and I thought maybe that's what this might be. I have been working a lot this past week and so I thought he was being a little reclusive with the rest of the family since I'm the one hanging out with him all of the time. Today the weather is nice and I took him out to get some sunshine and enjoy the buffet when again I noticed the eye rubbing, which is now, since I'm home so I noticed, constant and now I can see that his eyes are watery. I suspected something is up but again thought maybe it was from the direct sun in his eyes but then came the dreaded sneeze. I can see now that I have been in denial and wishfully thinking he couldn't be sick but now I can see that he must be. There are some things that I am trying to consider as to the cause. First one week ago I built him a new habitat which is 4 1/2 ft x 4 1/2 feet. The decor if you will is the same as before with the exception of the addition of some organic potting soil I added for extra moisture. In the habitat I placed his old terrarium on it's side and planted some pansies, (which I read were safe). He will nibble on them from time to time but not much at all. His diet is mainly dandelions and occasionally tortois food, (the colorful little balls that smell horrible). Two or three time a week I dust his food with the calcium powder, again nothing new. I soak him in warm water for 15 minutes everyday with the water being level the the middle of his shell. I'm really worried about him. What should I do? As of yet there isn't any kind of mucous in his eyes or nose just watery eyes and the sneeze. Is a visit to the vet in order or is there anything I can do to help him just "wait it out?" I don't want anything to happen to Walter and I feel sick about the idea of him getting sick.:( Sorry this became a novel but I thought the more details the more able to give advice all you experts might have to give.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
What are all of your temperatures and humidity? He may have something in his eye, if he isn't consistently sneezing, it may not be a cold, they sneeze to get debris out of there nose. Don't panic, I have before, and it turned out to be something simple.

Status
Not open for further replies.